1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D be the region in the (x, y) plane bounded by the lines y=x, y=4x and the hyperboals xy=1 and xy=9. find the center of mass of D.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My thought: to use the center of mass formula? and use the change of variables?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What have you done? The problem is to find a center of mass- why should there be a "?" on "use the center of mass formula"? Of course you shold use it. I can't speak toward "use the change of variables" because you haven't said what the integral is!

(Strictly speaking, this is NOT a "center of mass" problem at all because you have not given any density function so there is no "mass" and no "center of mass". It is a purely geometric "centroid" problem but that can be done exactly like a "center of mass" problem assuming constant density.)

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    the problem is not given one.

do I have to find the area of the two regions first?

Then what do I do next?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook