Finding Center of Mass of an Isosceles Triangle

In summary, the equation of the line which passes through (0, b/2) and (a, 0) is -b/2a. The slope of this line is -b/2a.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

an isosceles triangle with mass m and constant density is placed on an xy plane with base on the y axis. its height ranges from (0,-b/2) to (0,b/2) and its height is (a,0)

Find its center of mass.

I know that its density is equal 2m/ab.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution says that the shape of the small strips which i am supposed to integrate from zero to a are given by 2*b/2a*(a-x)

What I don't understand is why the heght b/2 is divided by a? I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of the line which passes through (0, b/2) and (a, 0)?

What is the slope of this line?

It would be -b/2a. so that would be the slope of the height of the rectangles that were integrating but since half the triangle is above the axis and the other half is below wouldn't we need to multiply that height by 2 leaving us with -b/a plus this also introduces a negative which isn't in the solution...

armolinasf said:
It would be -b/2a. so that would be the slope of the height of the rectangles that were integrating but since half the triangle is above the axis and the other half is below wouldn't we need to multiply that height by 2 leaving us with -b/a plus this also introduces a negative which isn't in the solution...
Correct, the slope is -b/2a .

What's the equation of the line?

The height is multiplied by 2.

so the equation of the line becomes
b(a-1)/2a I have a feeling that the 1 should be x.

But doesn't this like give you the height at any point of the triangle so would would multiply this by 2 right?

Last edited:
armolinasf said:
so the equation of the line becomes
b(a-1)/2a I have a feeling that the 1 should be x.

But doesn't this like give you the height at any point of the triangle so would would multiply this by 2 right?
Yes.

y = (-b/(2a))·x + b/2  →  y = (-b/(2a))·x + b/(2a)·a  →  y = (b/(2a))(a-x)

Then as you said earlier, we need to multiply this by 2.

By the way, the "center of mass" of a geometric figure of constant density is more properly called the "centroid". And it happens that the centroid of a triangle is the point whose coordinates are the average of the coordinates of the three vertices.

"its height ranges from (0,-b/2) to (0,b/2) and its height is (a,0)"
Surely you didn't mean to say that. Since the triangle has its base on y-axis, Its base "ranges from (0, -b/2) to (0, b/2)". And it has a third vertex at (a, 0) so its height is the number, a.

I got this one. Thanks for all the help.

What is the center of mass of an isosceles triangle?

The center of mass of an isosceles triangle is the point at which the triangle would balance perfectly if it were placed on a point.

How is the center of mass of an isosceles triangle calculated?

The center of mass of an isosceles triangle can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

Can the center of mass of an isosceles triangle be outside of the triangle?

No, the center of mass of an isosceles triangle will always be located within the boundaries of the triangle.

What is the significance of finding the center of mass of an isosceles triangle?

Finding the center of mass of an isosceles triangle can help determine the balance and stability of an object with a triangular shape. It is also important in physics and engineering calculations involving forces and moments.

Is the center of mass of an isosceles triangle always located on the line of symmetry?

No, the center of mass of an isosceles triangle will only be located on the line of symmetry if the triangle is equilateral. Otherwise, it will be located on a line perpendicular to the base and passing through the midpoint of the base.