Position Vector of Center of Mass: What is dm?

In summary, the position vector of the center of mass for a rigid body can be obtained by using the equation r_{CM}= \frac{1}{M} \int r dm, where dm is the mass differential that is equal to density times dV. This integral can be simplified if the mass is uniformly distributed, and in cases of symmetrical objects the integral of the position vector can be accomplished as one integral. For more complex objects, the integral may need to be broken into sections and added together. The end result is an expression similar to \frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2+...}{m_1+m_2+...} or \frac{m_1 \vec r_
UrbanXrisis
it is said that the posiion vector of the cener of mass of a rigid body can be obtained by:

[tex]r_{CM}= \frac{1}{M} \int r dm[/tex]

I'm not sure I understand this expression. What exactly is dm? and I thought it was the sumation of mass times distance divided by the total mass...

[tex] \frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2+...}{m_1+m_2+...}[/tex]

that is the integral of r wrt dm?

Physics news on Phys.org
mass is the same as density times volume, i.e.

[tex]m=\rho (\bar{x}) * V[/tex]
[tex]dm=\rho (\bar{x}) * dV[/tex]

Then, do the standard volume triple integral. If the density is constant, then it can be taken out of the integral.

UrbanXrisis said:
it is said that the posiion vector of the cener of mass of a rigid body can be obtained by:

I'm not sure I understand this expression. What exactly is dm? and I thought it was the sumation of mass times distance divided by the total mass...

dm is the mass differential that is density*dV if volume density*dL for length ect.
In word that integral says "center of mass is equal to the average position weighted by mass". It will become the quotient of sums you mention when the mass is concentrated at points. The integral will be useful when the density varies continuously. Say a thin rod has length 1 and the density sin(pi*x).
We approximate the center of mass with a sum. The sum becomes this integral under limit.
[tex]CM=\frac{\int_0^1 x\sin(\pi x) dx}{\int_0^1 \sin(\pi x) dx}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

UrbanXrisis said:

To summarize and expand what others have said, and making explicit that we are talking about a vector position here, the center of mass for an object with distributed mass is

[tex]
\vec r _{CM} = \frac{{\int_V {\vec r \rho (\vec r )dV} }}{{\int_V {\rho (\vec r )dV} }} = \frac{1}{M}\int_V {\vec r \rho (\vec r )dV}
[/tex]

If the mass is uniformly distributed, the density is constant and can be factored out of the integral, or combined with dV into a dm.

[tex]
\vec r _{CM} = \frac{\rho}{M}\int_V {\vec r dV} = \frac{1}{M}\int_V {\vec r dm}
[/tex]

These expressions are all used for center of mass calculations. The first is the most general, but in most cases of interest the mass is uniformly distributed throughout the volume, or at least in sections of the volume that can be integrated separately, so the density can be factored out. For symmetrical objects, the integral of the positon vector can usually be accomplished as one integral, but for more complicated objects it is usually necessary to break the integral into sections and add the contributions together. When you do that you wind up with an equation that looks like your

or in three dimensions

[tex] \frac{m_1 \vec r_1+m_2 \vec r_2+...}{m_1+m_2+...}[/tex]

In this case the subscripted position vectors and masses are the centers of mass and mass of each piece of the object. The latter expression can also be used for an assembly of objects, such as finding the center of mass of a system of interacting particles such as colliding objects or planetary systems.

1. What is the meaning of "Position Vector of Center of Mass?"

The position vector of center of mass refers to the vector that represents the location of the center of mass of an object or system of objects. It is calculated by taking the sum of the individual masses of the objects multiplied by their respective position vectors, and dividing by the total mass of the system.

2. How is the position vector of center of mass calculated?

The position vector of center of mass is calculated by taking the sum of the individual masses of the objects multiplied by their respective position vectors, and dividing by the total mass of the system. This calculation can be represented by the equation:

R = (m1r1 + m2r2 + ... + mnrn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

3. What is the significance of the position vector of center of mass?

The position vector of center of mass is significant because it is the point where an object or system of objects can be considered to be balanced. It is also the point where the gravitational force acts on the object or system, making it easier to analyze the motion and dynamics of the system.

4. How does the position vector of center of mass change with different configurations of objects?

The position vector of center of mass changes with different configurations of objects as it is dependent on the distribution of mass within the system. For example, if the majority of the mass is concentrated in one area, the position vector of center of mass will be closer to that area. However, if the mass is evenly distributed, the position vector of center of mass will be closer to the center of the system.

5. What is the relationship between the position vector of center of mass and the moment of inertia?

The position vector of center of mass is directly related to the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia. Therefore, the position vector of center of mass plays a crucial role in determining the moment of inertia of an object or system of objects.