1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the position of the center of mass of a whole leg (a) when stretched out, and (b) when bent at 90°. Assume the person is 1.70 m tall.

2. Relevant equations
    cm_def_big.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is where I'm stuck...what's the mass? I doubt I can just use variable m because the mass is different parts of the leg. Also, when the problem says that the person is 1.7 m tall, should I use that for leg length and assume they meant leg length instead of height?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2
    Is that all the information you are given? No diagram or anything? I think I would be led to believe that the point about the person being "1.70m tall" is some sort of red herring.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3
    Yes, sadly that's all the information I'm given, not even a diagram.

5. Nov 7, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There's probably some standard body part model used in kinesiology and the like. No doubt there are mass models for sections of each limb, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of height index to scale the model.

Where does this problem come from?

6. Nov 7, 2015 #5
    It's from my physics homework :cry:.

7. Nov 7, 2015 #6
    I would guess that your professor assigned you this piece of work but forgot to reference where you could find the question in your textbook, maybe you'll find more information there :oldtongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted