Center of pressure calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the force on and distance to the center of pressure of a 60cm square plate mounted in a swimming pool. The conversation covers different equations and attempts at solving the problem, including a reminder that the center of pressure is below the center of mass of the plate. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use the same formula for calculating the center of mass, but replacing mass with force and volume density with pressure, and integrating over the entire square.
Jaydude
1. The problem statement:

A removable plate is mounted in the end of a swimming pool. The plate is 60cm square with the top edge 30cm below surface of water. Compute the force on plate and distance to centre of pressure below surface of water.

2. Homework Equations .
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428511297.905568.jpg

3. The attempt at solution :

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428511756.434984.jpg

Spent a lot of research and time on cop to no avail, so this is my last resort!

Kind regards ,

Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Just I've Notices that you've written F = pgh, In fact it's the change in pressure that equals pgh, I don't know,maybe you can the force out of that!
Try to modelize your situation by defining the limits ;)
Hope that helps :)

Jaydude said:
1. The problem statement:

A removable plate is mounted in the end of a swimming pool. The plate is 60cm square with the top edge 30cm below surface of water. Compute the force on plate and distance to centre of pressure below surface of water.

2. Homework Equations .
View attachment 81705

3. The attempt at solution :

View attachment 81706

Spent a lot of research and time on cop to no avail, so this is my last resort!

Kind regards ,

Jay
Your calculation for yp is OK except for one detail. y-bar for the plate must be measured from the surface of the water, not the top edge of the plate.

Remember, since the pressure increases with depth, the center of pressure must be lower than the centroid of the plate. :wink:

SteamKing said:
Your calculation for yp is OK except for one detail. y-bar for the plate must be measured from the surface of the water, not the top edge of the plate.

Remember, since the pressure increases with depth, the center of pressure must be lower than the centroid of the plate. :wink:

Thanks , still can't get the answer though!
Tried using y bar as 0.9 and 0.45.
Do I use the water line as the reference line and measure y bar up to...where? Centroid, the bottom plate part, see what I mean?
And Yep, my badly drawn diagram shows COP lower than centroid :)

Solved ! I see what you now mean, y bar is 0.6, distance between centroid and water line, that makes more sense, thank you!

Just lastly if possible, what is that last equation in my original first post, with the integral sign? A more complex version of the Yp formula I used initially? Thanks!

I think, in order to calculate the centre of pressure you can use the same formula as for the centre of mass(you can simply look it up in wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass). Just replace the total mass with the total force and the volume density with the pressure and integrate over the whole square.

Its simple, use your x bar to be 0.6 I.e distance from centre of gravity to free surface,that way you would get the answer 0.65

And that's what you rightly denoted as y bar...
So,y bar= 0.3 +0.3
Which is the addition of the distance of centre of gravity and the distance of the square from the free surface...

Dannyville587 said:
And that's what you rightly denoted as y bar...
So,y bar= 0.3 +0.3
Which is the addition of the distance of centre of gravity and the distance of the square from the free surface...
You realize that this thread is almost 3 years old, right? The OP has not been seen for almost 3 years.

Anyway, as SteamKing correctly pointed out in post #3, the center of pressure is below the center of mass of the plate.

This thread is hereby closed.

1. What is center of pressure (COP) calculation?

The center of pressure (COP) is the point on a body or object where the force of pressure is applied. In fluid mechanics, it refers to the point where the force of pressure is exerted on a submerged body.

2. Why is center of pressure calculation important?

Center of pressure calculation is important in various fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and biomechanics. It helps determine the stability and balance of an object or body and can be used to optimize the design of structures or equipment.

3. How is center of pressure calculated?

The center of pressure can be calculated using various methods depending on the application. In general, it involves measuring the pressure distribution on a surface and using mathematical equations to determine the point where the total pressure force is zero.

4. What factors affect center of pressure?

The center of pressure can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the object, the speed and direction of flow, and the fluid properties. In addition, any changes in the surface or boundary conditions can also influence the center of pressure.

5. Can center of pressure be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, center of pressure can be controlled or manipulated through various means such as changing the shape or size of an object, altering the flow conditions, or using control surfaces. This can be useful in applications where stability and balance need to be maintained, such as in aircraft or sports equipment.