Calculate Center of Pressure for Rocket - Andy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the center of pressure for a rocket and the difficulties in locating it on the nozzle axis. It is suggested that the Barrowman Equations or a program like OpenRocket can provide a decent approximation for this calculation.
Andy_M
Hi,

I'm wondering how to calculate the center of pressure for a rocket.
More precisely, i know that the C P is located on the axis of the nozzle but i don't know how to located it on this axis...
With FLUENT and a 3d simulation, Fluent can't located it (Fluent gives me 2 differents locations on the X-axis)...
Does it exist a simple relation for find it ?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
A decent approximation can be found with the Barrowman Equations: http://my.execpc.com/~culp/rockets/Barrowman.html [Broken]

You can also use a program such as OpenRocket: http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/

(Out of curiosity, what kind of rocket is this for?)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the center of pressure for a rocket?

The center of pressure for a rocket is the point at which the total aerodynamic force acting on the rocket is considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the average pressure distribution on the rocket's surface intersects with the longitudinal axis of the rocket.

2. Why is it important to calculate the center of pressure for a rocket?

Calculating the center of pressure is important because it helps determine the rocket's stability during flight. If the center of pressure is located too far back, the rocket may become unstable and veer off course. On the other hand, if it is located too far forward, the rocket may become difficult to control.

3. How is the center of pressure calculated for a rocket?

The center of pressure is calculated by dividing the total moment of the pressure distribution by the total pressure force. This can be done using mathematical equations or by conducting wind tunnel experiments to gather data on the rocket's aerodynamics.

4. What factors can affect the center of pressure for a rocket?

The center of pressure can be affected by several factors including the shape and size of the rocket, the speed and direction of the airflow, and the location of the rocket's fins. Changes in any of these factors can cause the center of pressure to shift, affecting the rocket's stability.

5. How can the center of pressure be controlled for a rocket?

To control the center of pressure, the design of the rocket can be altered by adjusting the size and shape of the fins or changing the location of the fins in relation to the rocket's body. Wind tunnel testing can also be used to gather data and make adjustments to the rocket's design to achieve a desired center of pressure.