1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of pressure

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    pls refer to photo 2 , (circled part) How to transform equation in 3-20 to become equation in 3-22a ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have tried in photo 3 , yet can get the same form as in 3-22a . In step 2 , i divided the y_p with Fr

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can see an error in your working. In the left hand term, you substituted FR=P0A (wrong), but in the right hand term you correctly used PcA.
    I'll continue to study the text, but it is hard to read in places.

Edit:
    I eventually figured out that the denominator in the last term of 3-22a reads ##(y_c+P_0/(\rho g \sin(\theta))A##, with which I agree.
    Do you get that with the above correction?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. Jan 29, 2016 #3
    no , i still gt stucked here

Attached Files:

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Put the denominator in the second term back into the form PcA for now.
    Take the second term in the numerator (the one with yc2; you missed out the c subscript) and shift it into the first term after the equals sign. In the numerator there, you can extract a factor yc. The other factor is PcA, so cancels with the denominator.

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    how to facrorise yc ? there are 3 terms there , but there are only 2 terms contain yc .... and i cant factorise PoA ...

Attached Files:

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have successfully factored out the yc. In the other factor, you have two terms each with a denominator PcA. So you can add together the numerators. I think you'll find those numerators add up to PcA.

8. Jan 29, 2016 #7
    ok , i get my yc now , how to transform the ( (rho)g sin theta ( I xxc) / PcA )into the same form as 3-22a?

9. Jan 29, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In that term, expand the Pc in the denominator into P0+ etc. form, then divide through numerator and denominator by (rho)g sin theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted