Finding the Exact Time of Alignment of Earth, Sun and Center Sun

In summary: It's not just one star, it's a whole bunch of stars. So it's like a star-forming region. Im not sure what this has to do with your question.In summary, the galactic center is located at right ascension 17h45m40.04s, declination -29º 00' 28.1" (J2000). The sun, galactic center, and Earth will never line up, as was already explained to you in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=141357
osirisisis
Ok so if the center sun of our gallaxy is in sagattarius then what degree is it in sagattarius. If the Earth and the sun and the center sun were in aline once a year then would I have to see the oppisite consalation of sagattarius at the oppisite degree of the center sun in the center of the sky on 12 midnite

Im
still looking for an exzack time this of when the Earth sun and center line up
please help

Astronomy news on Phys.org
osirisisis said:
Ok so if the center sun of our gallaxy is in sagattarius then what degree is it in sagattarius. If the Earth and the sun and the center sun were in aline once a year then would I have to see the oppisite consalation of sagattarius at the oppisite degree of the center sun in the center of the sky on 12 midnite

Im
still looking for an exzack time this of when the Earth sun and center line up
please help

The galactic center is located at right ascension 17h45m40.04s, declination -29º 00' 28.1" (J2000). The object at the galactic center is not a star, it is a supermassive black hole. The sun, galactic center, and Earth will never line up, as was already explained to you in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=141357"

Last edited by a moderator:
osirisisis said:
If the Earth and the sun and the center sun were in aline once a year then would I have to see the oppisite consalation of sagattarius at the oppisite degree of the center sun in the center of the sky on 12 midnite
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You do understand that the stars in constellations aren't necessarily near each other and that the individual stars we see aren't actually anywhere near the galactic center, right? They just appear lined-up with it.

Ie, the apparent nearest bright star to the Milky Way center is Antares and is 600 light years from earth. The Milky Way center, on the other hand is more like 2600 light years away.

Last edited:
Guys this is simple.. I am not looking for fact and figures of about light years away or 32 degree difference that the Earth is off or a plethra of space knowledge I just poss the question to anyone capable of finding the andswer of :

We have the sun and the center of our gallaxy that is aways in aline (2 points in space) and a 3rd verable the Earth that once a year lines up with these 2 points minus a height issue of some odd degrees ...what time this year does this happen?

Ask a professor and see if he knows

osirisisis said:
Guys this is simple.. I am not looking for fact and figures of about light years away or 32 degree difference that the Earth is off or a plethra of space knowledge I just poss the question to anyone capable of finding the andswer of :

We have the sun and the center of our gallaxy that is aways in aline (2 points in space) and a 3rd verable the Earth that once a year lines up with these 2 points minus a height issue of some odd degrees ...what time this year does this happen?

Your question is poorly posed, since it's not clear what it means to line up "minus a height issue". That "height issue" makes it so that they never line up. If you mean to ask when the galactic center and projection of the Earth and sun onto the galactic plane line up, then you're effectively asking when the sun is at l=0 and l=180 (l is galactic longitude). Of course, it happens twice a year -- at one of those times the Earth is between the sun and galactic center and at the other the sun is between Earth and galactic center. Since the galactic center is very near eighteen hours, then these events will occur near the winter and summer solstices, respectively. The former "alignment" should occur in only a few days.

Last edited:
I gave you an exact date in your other thread (edit: ehh, plus or minus a couple of days). Poorly worded or not, it isn't a difficult question and you got a straightforward answer. I also gave you simple instructions for looking it up yourself. I don't know why you keep asking it...

Last edited:
Here, I've pinpointed it as good as you'll be able to get. Approximately 4:45 EST on December 18. Here's a screen cap of the planetarium program I used to find it.

May I ask why you needed/wanted to know about this?

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 392
SpaceTiger said:
The object at the galactic center is not a star, it is a supermassive black hole.
That's true but what it is actually is that the supermassive black hole gravity creates an accretion of gases which releases llight energy and creating a blob of plasma around the black hole.

Last edited:
what is the date this year that this happened around the winter soltaces

Read post #7.

The question has been answered clearly. No further threads on this, please.

1. What is the exact time of alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun?

The exact time of alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun is constantly changing due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun and the Sun's orbit around the center of our galaxy. However, the closest alignment occurs during the equinoxes, which typically fall on March 20th and September 22nd.

2. How often does the alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun occur?

The alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun occurs twice a year, during the equinoxes. This alignment is not exact and varies by a few days each year due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun and the Sun's orbit around the center of our galaxy.

3. Why is the alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun important?

The alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun is important because it marks the changing of seasons and the start of spring and fall. It also has cultural and religious significance, as some cultures celebrate the equinoxes as a time of balance and renewal.

4. Can the alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun be predicted?

Yes, the alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun can be predicted with a high level of accuracy using mathematical models and astronomical observations. However, factors such as the Earth's rotation and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies can affect the exact timing of the alignment.

5. How does the alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun impact our daily lives?

The alignment of Earth, Sun, and Center Sun does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it does affect the amount of daylight we experience and can also impact weather patterns. Additionally, some people may observe the equinoxes as a time of reflection and new beginnings.