Centering equations in MS Word

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, In order to align a formula to the center of the page and have the assigned number aligned to the right, one solution is to create a two column table and adjust the cell alignment and column widths accordingly. Another option is to use two tabulation marks, one centered and one on the left border. Alternatively, a text box with no lines can also be used for visual appearance.
marlon
hi

you know, i wrote an eauqtion in word with the equation editor. the formula is centered at the page but i want to number this formula. i want the number to appear on the right hand side of the formula at the end of the sentence. So basically what i want is the formula to be centerd and the assigned number to be aligned to the right on that same sentence.

do you know how to do that ? Word keeps aligning them both in the same way

thanks in advance

marlon

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never used the equation editor in word but one solution might be to create a two column table and then alter the 'Borders and Shading' to make it invisible to your background. You can then alter the cell alignment and column widths to suit your needs.

Daminc said:
I've never used the equation editor in word but one solution might be to create a two column table and then alter the 'Borders and Shading' to make it invisible to your background. You can then alter the cell alignment and column widths to suit your needs.

yeah thanks, somebody at the office suggested this to me too.

thanks for the valuable advice

regards
marlon

Alternatively you can also create two tabulation marks -- one centered and one on the left border (see the attached file).

Attachments

• test.doc
    20 KB · Views: 203
Thanks Triss for enlarging my WORD knowledge

i appreciate it

marlon

Here is a hack, if all you care about is visual appearance (and not logical grouping).
You could create a text box with no lines and place it where you want. Then, fill in whatever you want. However, you might have watch that it stays where you want it if you edit the text.

What are the steps to center equations in MS Word?

To center equations in MS Word, first select the equation by clicking on it. Then, go to the "Layout" tab and click on "Align" in the "Arrange" group. Finally, click on "Center" to center the equation on the page.

Why is it important to center equations in MS Word?

Centering equations in MS Word makes them more visually appealing and easier to read. It also helps to keep the document looking organized and professional.

Can I center multiple equations at once in MS Word?

Yes, you can center multiple equations at once in MS Word. Simply select all the equations you want to center and follow the same steps as centering a single equation.

Is there a shortcut to center equations in MS Word?

Yes, there is a shortcut to center equations in MS Word. Simply select the equation(s) and press "Ctrl + E" on your keyboard. This will automatically center the equation(s) on the page.

Can I center equations in MS Word using a specific alignment?

Yes, you can center equations in MS Word using a specific alignment. In the "Align" drop-down menu, you can choose to center the equation(s) vertically, horizontally, or both.