Central Force Motion: Solve r(t) & theta(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the location of a particle in motion under the central force F(r) = -kr. The equation for the particle's location as a function of time, r(t) and theta(t), is given, as well as an attempt at solving it using integration. A possible method of using a trigonometric substitution is mentioned, but the speaker is struggling to find a solution and suggests solving the problem in Cartesian coordinates first.
roeb

Homework Statement

Consider the motion of a particle in the central force F(r) = -kr.
Solve for the particle's location as a function of time, r(t) and theta(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E = 1/2 m r'^2 + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} + U(r)[/tex]
I know U(r) = 1/2 k r^2
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}(E-U(r)) - \frac{L^2}{m^2 r^2}}[/tex]
(Where L is ang. momentum)

Plugging in U(r) I get a really nasty integral

[tex]dt = \frac{r^2 dr}{\sqrt{2E/m r^2 - k/m r^4 - L^2/m^2}}[/tex]

According to my professor I can use a trig sub to solve this, but I am not getting anywhere.
Is there some sort of relationship that I am missing? I know it's supposed to be an ellipse but I seem to get any sort of substitutions to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This integral is such a mess.
I think the easiest way is to solve this problem in cartesion coordinates and convert it to polar coordinates.

1. What is central force motion?

Central force motion is a type of motion where an object moves under the influence of a force that is always directed towards a fixed point called the center of force.

2. How do you solve for r(t) and theta(t) in central force motion?

To solve for r(t) and theta(t) in central force motion, you can use the equations of motion, which are derived from Newton's second law. These equations include the radial equation of motion, which describes the motion in the radial direction, and the angular equation of motion, which describes the motion in the tangential direction.

3. What are some common examples of central force motion?

Some common examples of central force motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of satellites around the Earth, and the motion of electrons around the nucleus in an atom.

4. How does central force motion differ from other types of motion?

Central force motion differs from other types of motion in that the force acting on the object is always directed towards a fixed point, rather than being applied in a specific direction. This results in the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

5. What are some real-life applications of central force motion?

Central force motion has many real-life applications, including satellite orbit calculations, predicting the motion of planets and comets, and understanding the behavior of atomic particles. It is also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics to study the motion of objects in space.