1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Central force

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a body of mass 1kg moves under the influence of a central force with potential energy question V(r)= -exp(-3r/2)/5r2
    .it is found to move under a circular orbit of radius 2 m

2. Relevant equations
    find the total energy and the angular momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You need to at least attempt to solve the problem if you expect help.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    see, since i have the potential energy fn, i can calculate the force by calculating the negative of grad of V.
    This force will be balanced by the centripital corce i.e mv^2 /r. from here i can cal the velocity, v.
    thus the angular mom is simply mvr and total energy is P.E+K.E

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Sounds good. So what is your question?

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    firstly the mathematical calculation is very tedious. So is there sm another meathod

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I don't know of a better way. It doesn't look that bad. If you have access to software like Mathematica, it will be a snap, but even without that it should be less than one page.

8. Jun 10, 2010 #7
    Your method seems correct and it's not tedious at all. You should be able to do it with pencil and paper just fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook