1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Central limit theorom

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    :rolleyes: just a query......... does anyone have a general definition of the central limit theorom. Ive been looking on the internet and all ive got is a whole lot of complex crap

P.S it would help if it was related to fisheries management

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    simply put: under certain regularity conditions (finiteness of mean and variance), given Y_i are independent and identically distributed random variables.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n}}{\sigma}(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}Y_i-\mu) \rightarrow N(0,1)[/tex]

You can think of the [tex]Y_i[/tex] as fish that you are sampling from a population of fish who's mean age and variance you know. Then if you sample a large amount of fish. The average age of your sampled fish standardized as above will be approximately normal(0,1).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    the one we were taught is that sqrt(n)(X-u)/(s) - >N(0,1) if s>30 otherwise you gotta use the t distribution where s is the sample std deviation

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4
    ya so if your n is not large enough, the approximation is not comfortable enough to use the normal. thats fine.

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    yeh so as n->infinity the t distrubution tends to the normal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?