Central Maximum of laser light

In summary, the conversation is about a technician adjusting a diffraction grating for a laser light show. The given information includes the wavelength of the laser, the number of lines per centimeter on the grating, and the distance between the grating and the screen. The question is about the distance between the slits of the grating and the distance from the central maximum to the bright fringe. The solution involves using the formula for diffraction and calculating the distance using given values. The conversation ends with the person asking for help in calculating the distance between the central maximum and the bright fringe.
Mspike6
Hi there.

i solved most of this question, but am not sure about the last part and i was hoping someone would help me.

As part of a laser light show a technician is adjusting a diffraction grating. A green laser with a wavelength of 532 nm is shone on a diffraction grating with 2700 lines/cm. The screen is 35 m from the diffraction grating.

a. What is the distance between the slits of the diffraction grating?

Given:
Wavelength = 5.32*10-7 m
D=2700/100 = 2.7*10-5 m
L=35
N=1

Analysis:

Wavelength = xd/nl
X= (wavelength)(nl) / d

X= 1.69 *10-1 m
The distance between the slits of the diffraction grating is 1.69*10-1cm

a. How far from the central maximum will the bright fringe be?

But i don't know how to caluclate the distance between the central maximum and bright fringe.. and i was hopeing somone would explain how to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance between the diffraction slits is just D=2700/100=2.7*10^-5 m. X is the distance between the bright fringes (or between the dark fringes).

Thanks Ideasrule .
Really appreciate it

Last edited:

1. What is the central maximum of laser light?

The central maximum of laser light refers to the brightest and most intense spot of light in a laser beam. It is the portion of the beam that has the highest energy and concentration of photons.

2. How is the central maximum of laser light created?

The central maximum of laser light is created through the process of stimulated emission, where atoms are excited and release photons in a specific direction. The photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying the light until it forms a concentrated beam.

3. How is the central maximum of laser light used in scientific research?

The central maximum of laser light is used in a variety of scientific research applications, such as in spectroscopy, microscopy, and laser cooling. It can also be used for precise measurements and in medical procedures, such as laser surgery.

4. Can the central maximum of laser light be manipulated?

Yes, the central maximum of laser light can be manipulated by changing the properties of the laser, such as its wavelength or intensity. It can also be controlled by using optical elements, such as lenses or mirrors, to shape and direct the beam.

5. What are the advantages of using the central maximum of laser light in research?

The central maximum of laser light has several advantages in research, including high intensity and precision, narrow bandwidth, and the ability to be focused to a very small spot. This makes it useful for a wide range of applications that require precise and controlled light sources.