Prove Centralizer Equality: n & k Relatively Prime

• Thread starter tyrannosaurus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove that C(a)=C(a^k) when k is relatively prime to n, you can use the method of double containment and show that if b is in C(a^K), then b is also in C(a). This can be done by using the fact that k and n are relatively prime and manipulating the given equations until you arrive at the desired result.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

If a is an element of a group and |a|=n, prove that C(a)=C(a^k) when k is relatively prime to n.

Homework Equations

If n and k are relatively prime, then there exists integers s and t such that ns+kt=1.
The centralizer a in G, C(a) is the set of all elements in a group G that commute with a. C(a)={g an element of G|ga-ag}

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried proving it by double containment, but I couldn't show that C(a^K) is contained in C(a). Should I try a proof by contradiction? I will be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
tyrannosaurus said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried proving it by double containment, but I couldn't show that C(a^K) is contained in C(a).

I think double containment is the easiest method (I have never heard the term double containment, but I'm assuming it refers to proving [itex]C(a) \subseteq C(a^K)[/itex] and [itex]C(a^K) \subseteq C(a)[/itex]).

You want to show that if b is in C(a^K), then b is in C(a). In other words assume:
[tex]ba^Kb^{-1} = a^K[/itex]
i.e. a^K and b commute. You then wish to show [itex]bab^{-1}=a[/itex]. Here I have just stated the goal so we're clear about that.

To say that K and n are relatively prime is equivalent to saying that there exists integers x, y such that xK+yn=1. Now you have:
[tex](bab^{-1})^1 = (bab^{-1})^{xK+yn}[/tex]
so it suffices to show:
[tex](bab^{-1})^{xK+yn} = a[/tex]
See if you can do this. Remember that you have:
[tex]ba^K b^{-1} = a^K \qquad a^n = 1[/tex]

What is "Prove Centralizer Equality: n & k Relatively Prime"?

"Prove Centralizer Equality: n & k Relatively Prime" is a mathematical statement that refers to the relationship between two numbers, n and k. It means that n and k have no common factors other than 1.

Why is proving centralizer equality important?

Proving centralizer equality is important because it is a fundamental concept in group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure and behavior of groups. It helps us understand the properties of groups and their elements, and has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

How do you prove centralizer equality?

The most common way to prove centralizer equality is by using the definition of a centralizer, which is the set of elements that commute with a given element in a group. By showing that the centralizers of two elements n and k are equal, we can prove that n and k are relatively prime.

What is the significance of n and k being relatively prime?

When n and k are relatively prime, it means that they do not share any common factors. This is important because it allows us to simplify and solve equations involving these numbers more easily. It also has applications in cryptography and number theory.

What are some examples of n and k being relatively prime?

Some examples of n and k being relatively prime are 7 and 9, 15 and 26, and 3 and 5. In each of these pairs, the only common factor is 1, making them relatively prime.