1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrally symmetric.

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    X a subset of R^n is called centrally symmetric if the isometry f_z:R^n->R^n
    defined by x|->2z-x for some z in R^n satisifies: f_z(X)=X.
    and z is called centre of symmetry.
    Now i need to show that:
    1. if X is centrally symmetric and f is an isometry then f(X) is also centrally symmetric.
    2. prove that if X has two centres of symmetry then it has infinie centres of symmetry.
    3. prove that a bounded subset of R^n has at most one centre of symmetry.

Now for 1:
    now sure how to do it, i mean from what is given:
    fof_z(X)=f(X)
    if i can prove that fof_z satisfies fof_z(x)=2z-f(x) then it will suffice, cause fof_z is a composiition of isometries which is itself an isometry.

now we proved that each isometry can be written as an affine transformation, i.e
    f(x)=Ax+b where A is an orthogonal matrix (nxn).
    now here: fof_z(x)=A(f_z(x))+b=A(2z-x)+b=2Az-Ax+b=2z'-(Ax+b)=2z'-f(x)
    where z'=Az+b
    will that do, or something is missing?

for the second question i tried to look if we have two centres of symmetry, then
    z1,z2, then f_z_i(X)=X
    then I thought of looking at f_z3(x)=[f_z2(x)+f_z1(x)]/2=(z2+z1)-x
    if we define z3=(z1+z2)/2 then this should be another centre of symmetry, the prblem is that i need to show that: f_z3(X)=X, well perhaps this follows because every point in X is in f_z1(X) and f_z2(X) and then also it's in f_z3(X) cause f_z3(x) is actually a mean value of the other functions, is that even make sense (too mcuh hand wavy)?

for the third i thioght of showing that if it had for example two then from section 2 it will have more and thus get that the set isn't bounded, not sure how to formalise this.

any hints are apprecitaed.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?