Can a subset of R^n have multiple centres of symmetry?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses centrally symmetric subsets of R^n and their properties. It is defined as a subset where the isometry f_z maps X to itself, with z being the center of symmetry. The conversation then moves on to proving three statements regarding centrally symmetric subsets: 1) If X is centrally symmetric and f is an isometry, then f(X) is also centrally symmetric. 2) If X has two centers of symmetry, it has an infinite number of centers of symmetry. 3) A bounded subset of R^n can have at most one center of symmetry. The conversation provides some ideas and approaches for proving these statements, such as using affine transformations and the mean value of functions.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
X a subset of R^n is called centrally symmetric if the isometry f_z:R^n->R^n
defined by x|->2z-x for some z in R^n satisifies: f_z(X)=X.
and z is called centre of symmetry.
Now i need to show that:
1. if X is centrally symmetric and f is an isometry then f(X) is also centrally symmetric.
2. prove that if X has two centres of symmetry then it has infinie centres of symmetry.
3. prove that a bounded subset of R^n has at most one centre of symmetry.

Now for 1:
now sure how to do it, i mean from what is given:
fof_z(X)=f(X)
if i can prove that fof_z satisfies fof_z(x)=2z-f(x) then it will suffice, cause fof_z is a composiition of isometries which is itself an isometry.

now we proved that each isometry can be written as an affine transformation, i.e
f(x)=Ax+b where A is an orthogonal matrix (nxn).
now here: fof_z(x)=A(f_z(x))+b=A(2z-x)+b=2Az-Ax+b=2z'-(Ax+b)=2z'-f(x)
where z'=Az+b
will that do, or something is missing?

for the second question i tried to look if we have two centres of symmetry, then
z1,z2, then f_z_i(X)=X
then I thought of looking at f_z3(x)=[f_z2(x)+f_z1(x)]/2=(z2+z1)-x
if we define z3=(z1+z2)/2 then this should be another centre of symmetry, the prblem is that i need to show that: f_z3(X)=X, well perhaps this follows because every point in X is in f_z1(X) and f_z2(X) and then also it's in f_z3(X) cause f_z3(x) is actually a mean value of the other functions, is that even make sense (too mcuh hand wavy)?

for the third i thioght of showing that if it had for example two then from section 2 it will have more and thus get that the set isn't bounded, not sure how to formalise this.

any hints are apprecitaed.

Physics news on Phys.org
any comments?

1. Can a subset of R^n have more than one centre of symmetry?

Yes, it is possible for a subset of R^n to have multiple centres of symmetry. This means that there are multiple points within the subset that act as centres of symmetry, where if you were to rotate the subset around these points, the subset would look the same.

2. What is a centre of symmetry?

A centre of symmetry is a point within a shape or subset that, when rotated 180 degrees around it, results in the shape or subset appearing exactly the same as it did before the rotation. It is essentially a point of reflection symmetry.

3. How can a subset have multiple centres of symmetry?

A subset can have multiple centres of symmetry if it has multiple axes of symmetry. An axis of symmetry is a line that divides a shape or subset into two mirror images. If a subset has more than one axis of symmetry, it can have multiple centres of symmetry.

4. Are there any limitations to a subset having multiple centres of symmetry?

There are no limitations to a subset having multiple centres of symmetry. As long as the subset has multiple axes of symmetry, it can have multiple centres of symmetry.

5. Can a subset have an infinite number of centres of symmetry?

Yes, it is possible for a subset to have an infinite number of centres of symmetry. This can occur if the subset has an infinite number of axes of symmetry, such as in a fractal or a shape with infinite sides, like a circle.