Centre of Buoyancy - Clarifying a Doubt

• Thread starter jnanesha.ks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centre of buoyancy and its relation to the center of gravity of a completely submerged body. The center of buoyancy is the point where the mass of displaced water acts upon and coincides with the center of gravity if the body is homogeneous. However, if the body has off-center internal cavities, it will have an uneven mass distribution and be unstable. The conversation also mentions using CAD software to calculate the center of buoyancy for a non-homogeneous assembly.
jnanesha.ks
Hi,

I am having a doubt with centre of buoyancy. I referred some books but still the doubt is not clarified.

Centre of buoyancy is the point where the mass of displaced water acts upon (upwards). When a steel part is completely immersed in sea water, the shape and volume of water displaced is same as that of the body. Hence the centre of buoyancy coincides with centre of gravity of the body? If so, there will be no tilting action takes place. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance,

Jnanesha KS
jnanesha.ks at quest-global dot com

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the fully immersed body is homogeneous it will be stable as you predicted. If the body has off-center internal cavities, the mass distibution will be uneven giving it a righting arm in respect to the center of bouyancy.

Thank you for the reply. Well, I understand the phenomenon of non-homogenous structure behavior. The subject body under question is a assembly of several items. I have a 3D model built. Basically it is a subsea equipment used for oil exploration. The tool used to build 3D model is Pro/Engineer.

I have calcualted the COG and got x,y and z dimensions for it. Now I need to find where COB comes when the body is completely immersed. I have worked on simple calculation of COB around 14 years ago when I was in university. Since many years passed by and not in touch with these things I have forgot how to find out COB.

I hope anyone of the members would help me out.

Thanks and regards,
Jnanesha KS

jnanesha.ks: Perhaps try thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=289528".
jnanesha.ks said:
When a steel part is completely immersed in sea water, the shape and volume of water displaced is the same as that of the body. Hence, the centre of buoyancy coincides with the centre of gravity of the body?

Yes, if it is a solid steel object (and also has no trapped air underneath it).
jnanesha.ks said:
If so, there will be no tilting action that takes place. Am I correct?

That is incorrect. Since, in your example, the centre of buoyancy coincides with the centre of gravity, the object is instable, meaning it can easily rotate, somewhat spontaneously.
jnanesha.ks said:
Now I need to find where the COB comes when the body is completely immersed.

The centre of buoyancy of your completely submerged body will be the centroid of the entire volume of the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for those links. I went through them.

OK. centroid of volume is the answer. However the pain is that the assembly which I have is not a homogeneous in nature.

jnanesha.ks: That's right. Therefore, on a scratch copy of your CAD model file, you can change all materials (including all enclosed air) to only one, solid material. Then, you will let the software compute the centre of gravity of this uniform volume, which is the centre of buoyancy (point B), because your assembly is completely submerged. If the centre of gravity from your original model file (point G) is not directly below point B, then your completely submerged body is instable, and therefore will rotate.

Many thanks.

1. What is the Centre of Buoyancy?

The Centre of Buoyancy (COB) is the center point of the volume of fluid displaced by a submerged object. It is the point where the upward buoyant force acts on the object and is located below the center of gravity of the object.

2. How is the COB different from the Center of Mass?

The COB and the Center of Mass (COM) are two different concepts. The COB is the point where the buoyant force acts on a submerged object, while the COM is the point where the weight of an object acts. In most cases, the COM and COB are not located at the same point.

3. How is the COB calculated?

The COB can be calculated by finding the centroid of the displaced volume of fluid. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using a physical model and measuring the COB location.

4. What is the significance of the COB?

The COB is an important concept in understanding the stability of floating objects. If the COB is located above the COM, the object will be stable and stay upright. However, if the COB is located below the COM, the object will be unstable and tend to tip over.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the COB?

The shape of an object does not directly affect the COB, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the volume and distribution of the displaced fluid. Objects with a larger volume and a lower center of mass will have a lower COB, while objects with a smaller volume and a higher center of mass will have a higher COB.