1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of buoyancy

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I am having a doubt with centre of buoyancy. I referred some books but still the doubt is not clarified.

Centre of buoyancy is the point where the mass of displaced water acts upon (upwards). When a steel part is completely immersed in sea water, the shape and volume of water displaced is same as that of the body. Hence the centre of buoyancy coincides with centre of gravity of the body? If so, there will be no tilting action takes place. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance,

Jnanesha KS
    jnanesha.ks at quest-global dot com

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2
    If the fully immersed body is homogeneous it will be stable as you predicted. If the body has off-center internal cavities, the mass distibution will be uneven giving it a righting arm in respect to the center of bouyancy.

4. Aug 31, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply. Well, I understand the phenomenon of non-homogenous structure behavior. The subject body under question is a assembly of several items. I have a 3D model built. Basically it is a subsea equipment used for oil exploration. The tool used to build 3D model is Pro/Engineer.

I have calcualted the COG and got x,y and z dimensions for it. Now I need to find where COB comes when the body is completely immersed. I have worked on simple calculation of COB around 14 years ago when I was in university. Since many years passed by and not in touch with these things I have forgot how to find out COB.

I hope any one of the members would help me out.

Thanks and regards,
    Jnanesha KS

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

jnanesha.ks: Perhaps try thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=289528".
    Yes, if it is a solid steel object (and also has no trapped air underneath it).
    That is incorrect. Since, in your example, the centre of buoyancy coincides with the centre of gravity, the object is instable, meaning it can easily rotate, somewhat spontaneously.
    The centre of buoyancy of your completely submerged body will be the centroid of the entire volume of the body.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Sep 13, 2010 #5
    Thanks for those links. I went through them.

OK. centroid of volume is the answer. However the pain is that the assembly which I have is not a homogeneous in nature.

7. Sep 14, 2010 #6

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

jnanesha.ks: That's right. Therefore, on a scratch copy of your CAD model file, you can change all materials (including all enclosed air) to only one, solid material. Then, you will let the software compute the centre of gravity of this uniform volume, which is the centre of buoyancy (point B), because your assembly is completely submerged. If the centre of gravity from your original model file (point G) is not directly below point B, then your completely submerged body is instable, and therefore will rotate.

8. Sep 14, 2010 #7
    Many thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook