Centre of Charge analogous to Centre of Mass, Valid Concept ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a point where all charge of a body can be assumed to be concentrated and its relationship to the center of mass. It is noted that the center of mass is not a scalar, but a position, and the distribution of charge and mass may differ. The question of whether the two points will be the same for a half ring with uniform charge distribution is also brought up, with the answer being that it is not always the case. Spherical symmetry may allow for this assumption, but in general, it is more complicated.
tejaswa
I want to know whether I can use a point where all charge of a body can be assumed to be concentrated. Obviously such a point exists. I want to know whether it'll be the same point as centre of mass [as both are scalars and their integration SHOULD yield the same result]

For example, if a half ring [semicircle] has a charge 'Q' uniformly distributed over it and a radius 'R', can I assume all of this Q to be effectively centred at '2R/∏' [location of centre of mass] from its centre? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the center of mass is not a scalar - it is not a mass, it is a position. Furthermore, the charge and mass might not have the same density everywhere, so the two might be centered around different positions. Say you have two spheres, one i charged, one is not. Then the CoM would be between the spheres (for some appropriate density of the spheres) but the 'charge center' would be in the middle of the charged sphere.

For your second question, the answer, I believe, is "no, not in general". If you're talking about spherically symmetric things then yes (look up Gauss law of "something to do with this"), but anything else is more tricky than that.

1. What is the concept of Centre of Charge analogous to Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Charge is a concept in physics that is similar to the Centre of Mass. It is the point in an object or system where the total charge is considered to be concentrated. This point is calculated based on the magnitude and position of each individual charge in the system.

2. Why is the concept of Centre of Charge important?

The concept of Centre of Charge is important because it allows us to simplify calculations in systems with multiple charges. By considering the total charge to be concentrated at one point, we can use the rules of vector addition to analyze the behavior of the system.

3. Is the concept of Centre of Charge a valid concept?

Yes, the concept of Centre of Charge is a valid concept in physics. It is based on the principles of Coulomb's Law and is commonly used in electrostatics to analyze the behavior of charged particles and systems.

4. How is the Centre of Charge calculated?

The Centre of Charge is calculated using the formula:

RC = (q1r1 + q2r2 + ... + qnrn) / (q1 + q2 + ... + qn)

where q represents the magnitude of the charge and r represents the position vector of each individual charge in the system.

5. Can the Centre of Charge and Centre of Mass be at different points?

Yes, the Centre of Charge and Centre of Mass can be at different points in a system. This is because the Centre of Mass takes into account the mass of the objects, while the Centre of Charge only considers the charge. In most systems, these two points will coincide, but in systems with unequal distribution of mass and charge, they may be at different points.