1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre Of Gravity Help!

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small ball of mass m is dropped at a height of 50 metres. At the same time, a second ball with twice the mass of the first one is launched at an initial velocity of 10m/s from the ground. Where is the centre of gravity in this system?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont really know where to begin on this one, although i know that the cener of mass will probably lie closer to the ground because of heavier ball. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How does one define center of mass, given the position of two masses in the y-direction?

What is happening with the position of those masses?

See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Remember if something is falling and it's position is y(t) from some initial height h from the ground, then it's height or elevation is given by h-y(t).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Well, since this problem only deals with the y axis, the center of mass is 1/3h off the ground (if stationary, using the mass ratio), however, I dont really understand how velocity is factored into all of this

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

Astronuc

The positions (elevations) of each mass are changing with time.

ycm(t) = (y1(t)m1+y2(t)m2)/(m1+m2), so determine yi(t).

What are the positions y1(t) and y2(t) as functions of inital position, velocity, acceleration and time.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  6. Nov 20, 2007 #5
    h = h0 + Vot + 1/2 t^2
    so for the first mass at the top

h1 = 50 -4.9t^2
    mass at bottom

h2 = 10t -4.9t^2

To get the center of mass, would i need to add these two equations?

Cm = -9.8t^2 + 10t + 50 -----> -4.9t + 5t + 25

I have no idea what to do from here

7. Nov 20, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?