Centre of Gravity in a Two-Object System: Calculating with Mass and Height

In summary, the problem involves two balls, one dropped from a height of 50m and the other launched at an initial velocity of 10m/s from the ground. The center of mass for this system can be found by using the equation hcm(t) = (m1*h1(t)+m2h2(t))/(m1+m2), where h1 and h2 are the distances from the ground for each ball. By substituting the equations h1 = 50 -4.9t^2 and h2 = 10t -4.9t^2 and solving, the center of mass is found to be located at -4.9t^2 + 5t + 25 meters from the
cfc101

Homework Statement

A small ball of mass m is dropped at a height of 50 metres. At the same time, a second ball with twice the mass of the first one is launched at an initial velocity of 10m/s from the ground. Where is the centre of gravity in this system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin on this one, although i know that the cener of mass will probably lie closer to the ground because of heavier ball. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does one define center of mass, given the position of two masses in the y-direction?

What is happening with the position of those masses?

See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Remember if something is falling and it's position is y(t) from some initial height h from the ground, then it's height or elevation is given by h-y(t).

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
How does one define center of mass, given the position of two masses in the y-direction?

What is happening with the position of those masses?

See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Remember if something is falling and it's position is y(t) from some initial height h from the ground, then it's height or elevation is given by h-y(t).

Well, since this problem only deals with the y axis, the center of mass is 1/3h off the ground (if stationary, using the mass ratio), however, I don't really understand how velocity is factored into all of this

cfc101 said:
Well, since this problem only deals with the y axis, the center of mass is 1/3h off the ground (if stationary, using the mass ratio), however, I don't really understand how velocity is factored into all of this
The positions (elevations) of each mass are changing with time.

ycm(t) = (y1(t)m1+y2(t)m2)/(m1+m2), so determine yi(t).

What are the positions y1(t) and y2(t) as functions of inital position, velocity, acceleration and time.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The positions (elevations) of each mass are changing with time.

ycm(t) = (y1(t)m1+y2(t)m2)/(m1+m2), so determine yi(t).

What are the positions y1(t) and y2(t) as functions of inital position, velocity, acceleration and time.

h = h0 + Vot + 1/2 t^2
so for the first mass at the top

h1 = 50 -4.9t^2
mass at bottom

h2 = 10t -4.9t^2

To get the center of mass, would i need to add these two equations?

Cm = -9.8t^2 + 10t + 50 -----> -4.9t + 5t + 25

I have no idea what to do from here

1. What is the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act.

2. How is the centre of gravity determined?

The centre of gravity can be determined by finding the point at which the object would balance horizontally if suspended.

3. Why is the centre of gravity important?

The centre of gravity is important because it affects the stability and balance of an object. If the centre of gravity is too high, the object will be more prone to tipping over.

4. Can the centre of gravity change?

Yes, the centre of gravity can change depending on the distribution of weight within the object or if external forces act upon it.

5. How is the centre of gravity used in engineering and design?

The centre of gravity is an important consideration in engineering and design as it helps determine the stability and structural integrity of objects such as buildings, vehicles, and machines.