What is the center of gravity of a car with passengers on level ground?

In summary: The center of gravity height can be calculated by weighing the car when level and then raising the car at least 10 inches at the rear and weighing the front again. Replace each shock absorber with a solid link to eliminate suspension travel.
jamesd2008
Hi, hope someone can help. I need to find the centre of gravity of a car (x,y and Z). I know the length of the car (5.390m) the distance between the axils (3.116m) and the height of the car (1.515m) I also no the loading on the fronat axil (151.5 N) and the rear axil (111.9 N) and the total mass of the car is (263.5 N). Any suggestions?

Thanks
James

Engineering news on Phys.org
jamesd2008 said:
Hi, hope someone can help. I need to find the centre of gravity of a car (x,y and Z). I know the length of the car (5.390m) the distance between the axils (3.116m) and the height of the car (1.515m) I also no the loading on the fronat axil (151.5 N) and the rear axil (111.9 N) and the total mass of the car is (263.5 N). Any suggestions?

Thanks
James

Welcome to the PF, James. Seems like you need more information in order to get the z part of the CG. What is the application?

Hi, thanks for your reply i also have the width if the axil at 1.602m. I'm trying to calculate the Breaking forces on a double wishbone suspension system. Have all the retardation acceleration information as well. But think i need to know the centre of gravity of the mass car?

Thanks

Can you measure the weight shift with the car tilted in either axis? That will help you figure out the z component of the CG. Don't know any other way to do it easily...

Sorry no all i know is the gross mass of the car and mass distribution over each axil.

One way that people do is to raise one end of the car. The procedure is explained at this site:
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22

nucleus, thanks for the link very interesting. James

Center of Gravity (CG) is defined as that point about which, if the body were suspended from it, all parts of the body would have equilibrium ..i.e.. without tendency to rotate. it is the 3D balance point of the race car. all acceleration forces acting on a body can be considered to act through the CG of that body..we have the cg to be as low as we can get it.

Mass Centroid- is related to Cg ..sort of...ifin we slice the car into a series of sections, like a loaf of bread, each slice would have its own CG...if, in a side view, we draw a line connecting each sliced CG..we have the Mass Centroid Axis..not really a straight line but close to it.
it gives an indication of the distribution of the vehicles mass in the vertical plane.

Roll Center of the suspension is that point , in the traverse plane of the axles, about which sprung mass of that tend of the vehicle will roll under influence of centrifugal force. It is determined by drawing a line from the tire contact patch to a point in space that is the intersection of the upper and lower suspension arm linkage angles.

The CG and RC are located at different points. Usully the CG is many inches above the RC. CG can be change by moving " weight " around on the chassis.. The RC is changed by modifying how the upper and lower control arms mount to the chassis. Correct changes will improve the weight transfer to the rear tires thus improving traction.
lot of other stuff goin on here.. race car math of some is on my post in General Physics post " Race Car Physics" 31 Dec 2008

Finding the center of gravity height can be done in several ways, none of which are accomplished very easily and without some work. Presented here is the easiest method. The center of gravity height is calculated by weighing the car when level and then raising the car at least 10 inches at the rear and weighing the front again. Replace each shock absorber with a solid link to eliminate suspension travel

You need a set of electronic scales. You also need a set of blocks o eight inches tall. 10 inch is better.

First, weigh the car normally, then record the total weight (T) and the total number of pounds on the front tires-nose weight (N).

Jack up the rear of the car..CAREFULLY! Then carefully place the blocks under the rear scales (you may find it useful to lock your rear axle). Now record your new nose weight (NI). Next, subtract your original nose weight (N) from your new, lifted nose weight (NI) and you will have the difference (Nd).

Figure it out using your calculator…

a. Multiply the nose difference (Nd) x 1660= (A)

b. Multiply the total weight (T) x 8 (the height of the blocks)=(B)

c. Divide your previous numbers, A by B, and this equals (C)

d. Add this number, C, to your axle centerline height or spindle center, and the number you obtain is your vertical center of gravity.

CGH= WB x FWc / TW x Tan of angle

Center of Gravity Height Formula

Definition of Variables

CGH - Center of Gravity Height
WB - Wheelbase (inches)
TW - Total weight
FW1 - Front weight LEVEL
FW2 - Front weight RAISED
FWc - FW2 - FW1 (change in weights)
HT - Height raised (inches)
Adj - Adjacent side (see below)
Tan q - Tangent of angle (see below)
CLF - Left Front tire circumference
CRF - Right Front tire circumference
C - (CLF + CRF) / 2 (average circumference)
r - Axle Height

jamesd2008 said:

Thanks
James

Thought you might want to check your numbers a little. You have a load of 151.5N on the front axle and 111.9N on the rear axle, which means the car's weight (not mass) is actually 263.4N (a rounding error, but let's take 263.5N as the actual weight). This means that your car, which is 5.4m long, 1.5m high and 1.6m wide only has a mass of about 27kg!

Ok, now once you have the actual forces, do a moment calculation about the centre of mass. ie Load on front axle*distance from front axle to cm=load on rear axle*distance from rear axle to cm. Here you have two unknowns and one equation, so you need another equation: you know that distance from front axle to cm + distance from rear axle to cm = distance between axles. Solve simulataneously and voila, cm position in terms of front or rear axle. It is true that there is not enough info to calculate the z co-ordinate of your cm, actually, you can only calculate the x co-ordinate (and the y co-ordinate, if you assume symmetry about the z axis.)

Thanks for your replies has been of a great help. Thanks for your time James

Hi, is there any way to find out CG height i.e z coordinate without actually raising the vehicle? please reply

relish_menace said:
Hi, is there any way to find out CG height i.e z coordinate without actually raising the vehicle? please reply

No. All you can do is get a rough estimate. For example, a rule of thumb for old V8-powered american car was that the CG height was at the height of the camshaft.

You can also use http://hpwizard.com/car-weight.html" [Broken] for a good estimation (look for h/L).

Last edited by a moderator:
correct..you will be close to actual if you use cam location height

Hello everyone, this is my very first post and is related to the topic at hand. This is a virtual car that I'm creating for several simulation such as rfactor and Live for Speed and GTR 2...The length of my car is 170.70 inches, now along the length of car at 32.56 is where the front track of the car starts and at 141.08 inches is where the rear track is located...I've determined the center or gravity of the car by using the calculator suggested by nucleus on post #6. That would be CG is at 16.23 inches and CG of Axle height at 3.53 inches by raising the front axle...

My question is, How do i determine the weight of front and rear tracks and find the Center of Gravity? I'm willing to pay for a video tutorial, if anyone is from NYC I'm in Richmond Hill Queens...

El1iP3S01D said:
Hello everyone, this is my very first post and is related to the topic at hand. This is a virtual car that I'm creating for several simulation such as rfactor and Live for Speed and GTR 2...The length of my car is 170.70 inches, now along the length of car at 32.56 is where the front track of the car starts and at 141.08 inches is where the rear track is located...I've determined the center or gravity of the car by using the calculator suggested by nucleus on post #6. That would be CG is at 16.23 inches and CG of Axle height at 3.53 inches by raising the front axle...

My question is, How do i determine the weight of front and rear tracks and find the Center of Gravity? I'm willing to pay for a video tutorial, if anyone is from NYC I'm in Richmond Hill Queens...

I'm not sure of your question, but I think this will help:

http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgemath/02_CG_def/CG_def.html

@jack action, let me see if this will help...

hello i am new to the forum, i came across this thread and have been trying to figure out the derivation to this formula CGH=(Wb x Fwc)/(Tw x Tanθ), but i haven't had any luck. could someone please explain where this furmula came from and how to derive it.
Thanks

jddj said:
hello i am new to the forum, i came across this thread and have been trying to figure out the derivation to this formula CGH=(Wb x Fwc)/(Tw x Tanθ), but i haven't had any luck. could someone please explain where this furmula came from and how to derive it.
Thanks

cg-height.png

The load portion on the front axle when the car is leveled (Wf/W) is Lr/L [= 1 - Lf/L] (why?)

The load portion on the front axle when the rear axle is lifted (Wfu/W) is Lr'/(L cosA) [= (L cosA - Lf')/(L cosA) = 1 - Lf'/(L cosA)]

The load increase on the front axle (DWf) between the 2 states will be Wfu - Wf.

But: Lf' = Lf cosA - H sinA

So:
Wfu/W = 1 - (Lf cosA - H sinA)/(L cosA)
Wfu/W = 1 - Lf/L + H/L tanA
Wfu/W = Wf/W + H/L tanA
Wfu/W - Wf/W = H/L tanA
(Wfu - Wf)/W = H/L tanA
DWf/W = H/L tanA

Or:

H = (L x DWf)/(W x tanA)

Thank you, that's exactly what i was looking for.

The link above helps tremendously http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedge...ef/CG_def.html [Broken].

What if you now have passengers and the vehicle is on level ground? What would the height of the vehicles CG be? I do know the weight of the passengers along with their CG height.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the centre of gravity of a car?

The centre of gravity of a car is a point where the weight of the entire car is considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the car will balance perfectly when suspended.

Why is the centre of gravity important in a car?

The centre of gravity is important in a car because it affects the car's stability and handling. A low centre of gravity makes the car more stable, while a high centre of gravity can make the car more prone to tipping or rolling over.

How is the centre of gravity of a car determined?

The centre of gravity of a car is determined by measuring the weight distribution of the car and calculating the point at which the weight is evenly distributed. This is usually done using specialized equipment in a controlled environment.

Can the centre of gravity of a car be changed?

Yes, the centre of gravity of a car can be changed by altering the weight distribution of the car. For example, adding heavy cargo to the roof of the car will raise the centre of gravity, while removing heavy items from the trunk will lower it.

What happens if the centre of gravity is too high in a car?

If the centre of gravity is too high in a car, it can increase the risk of the car tipping or rolling over, especially during sharp turns or emergency maneuvers. This can be dangerous and potentially lead to accidents, so it is important to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible in a car.