1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of gravity question

1. Dec 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a) I got t=0.571 seconds
    For part b) I got s=4.6m

But part c) is what I'm stuck on. If his centre of gravity has shifted lower by 50cm, is his time spent in the air greater?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good assumption! so let him take off as a block of 2 m high and shrink to a block of 1 m high (with the same mass)

4. Dec 25, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In solving parts a and b, you treated the athlete as a point particle. What point would it make sense to use?

5. Dec 25, 2016 #4
    i guess what I don't undestand is why his time spent in the air increases when he lands with lower center of gravity??

and working with that assumption, does that mean his max vertical distance has increased by 50cm?

6. Dec 25, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

7. Dec 25, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See the picture. He jumps with his foot reaching the ground. The red spot shows the centre of mass, it is about 1 m high above the ground.
    During the jump, he lifts his legs, and he lands with his bottom reaching the ground. The final position of the centre of mass is 50 cm deeper than the initial height.

upload_2016-12-26_6-7-48.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted