1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass - board on ice

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person of mass M is standing at one end of a board of mass m and length l. The board rests upon frictionless ice surface, and its mass is uniformly distributed along its length. The person now walks to the center of the board and stops. In terms of the given quantities, M, m and l, how far from his starting position relative to the ice surface has he moved? Note that there are no external forces acting on the system, only internal forces.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to determine how the system will move. I have determined where the center of mass of the person-board system is, and I suspect it will enter the solution, but I can't figure anything out at the moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Will the location of the center of mass with respect to the ice of the "person + board" be affected by the motion of the person?

Will the location of the center of mass with respect to the board of the "person + board" be affected by the motion of the person?

4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
    I am not sure where the difference lies...

5. Nov 23, 2007 #4

Doc Al

In order for the center of mass to move with respect to the ice, there would have to be some external force on the system. (Since it wasn't moving before the person started walking.) But the ice is frictionless.

But with respect to the board, the center of mass does shift: Calculate the position of the center of mass before and after the person moves to the center.

6. Nov 23, 2007 #5
    So the new position of the board will be so that the position of the center of mass of the person-board system hasn't changed in respect to the ice? I must say I've been acquainted with the concept of center of mass less than 2 hours ago and haven't caught on its intuitive meaning yet.

7. Nov 23, 2007 #6

Doc Al

That's right.
    Give it time. (This question's a bit tricky.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?