1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass vs oscillation

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    My original question was answered, but I would just like some clarification regarding one concept. In the derivation for the centre of percussion in this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_percussion), what exactly is the variable A? How can it be determined (theoretically and/or experimentally)?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    Ahh thank you. For some reason I just could not see it.

At the bottom of that section, it states: "This is also the center of oscillation of a physical pendulum of the same mass M, hung at the pivot point. (The center of oscillation is the position of the mass of a simple pendulum that has the same period as the physical pendulum.)[2]"

Does the article prove this at all? Maybe I'm missing something here, but is that statement an easily seen corollary? I can show it is true for single examples, but is there a proof for the general case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook