1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass

1. Mar 1, 2006 #1
    why is it that a wise cyclist carries his load in packs on his bicycle intead of on her back? this is a poor question because of an assumption it makes.

i understand that by carrying the load on the bicycle instead of on his back the cyclist lowers the ecntre of mass so that it is harder for her to fall over (and so safer), but i can't work out the assumption and i'm sure it's a really obvious one...any pointers??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, I don't know it's an interesting question. Nothing initally jumps out. Maybe somehting to do with the distribution of the packs on the bike? I;m just guessing here though! Just out of interest which syllibus are you following?

4. Mar 1, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is your definition of a wise cyclist? Tour de France level or commuter level?

How heavy of a pack, and how big? Does the cyclist need to access it easily while riding (like for food and drink)?

5. Mar 1, 2006 #4
    the question is only what i posted so i suppose the assumption can be deduced from it (except that i can't think of it!)

syllabus: AS level AQA

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do AQA, I'm now doing A2, it's a really interesting course. The only thing I can think of is it assumes the packs are distributed about the bike so as not to create any turning moments and de-stablise the bike.

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6
    meaning it's in equilibrium?

how difficult is the A level as copared to AS? i've looked at the syllabus and it looks a bit complicated

8. Mar 1, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

A2 is less volume more detail. If you do Mechanics M2 you'll find the SHM, circular motion stuff easy. The wave stuff is fairly straight forward as is the gravitationaland electromagentic forces, the only thing I found difficult was the magnetic fields. The nuclear instability is also quite easy. We did the Applied physics optional module and its really interesting.

9. Mar 1, 2006 #8
    yeah i'm doing M2 at the mo (even though i won't take the exam til next year...) what's the applied physics module about? i think i'm going to be doing that

10. Mar 1, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bit of rotational dynamics - moments of inertia etc. Thermodynamics, 1st and 2nd laws, pressure volumes curves, adiabatic expansion, the internal combustion engine.

11. Mar 2, 2006 #10
    oh yeah. lots to look forward to :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?