Exploring the Center of Mass When Cutting a Circle in a Square

In summary, the center of mass will be at the center of the circle if the circle and square share the same center, or will move to the new center if they do not.
mnandlall
If I cut a perfect circle into a square piece of tin, how will the centre of mass be affected? I am making the assumption that I know the dimensions of the square as well as the diameter of the circle being cut. Let's say that I also know the position of the centre of the circle relative to the centre of the square.

Is there a specific relationship that exists here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the circle and square share the same common center, then no- the COM will not be affected.

Alright, but what if they do not share the same common center?

Then it will move to the new center.

Do you mean to say that regardless of where I cut the circle, the new centre of mass will always be at the centre of the circle?

As long as the material is even- then yes.

Where else could the center of mass be, except at the center of the circle?

christianjb said:
As long as the material is even- then yes.

Where else could the center of mass be, except at the center of the circle?
What? No.

If you have a 6"x6" square of tin, and you cut a 1" circle at a spot 1" from the edge, the4 CoM will NOT be the centre of the circle!

Try turning the problem on its head. A 1" circle of tin 2" from a fulcrum has the same effect as a 1" circle missing from a piece of tin 2" from its fulcrum.

Okay, I will try to think about it that way, and see where I get. Thanks.

Am I misunderstanding the question? I think I might be.

Are you asking where the COM of the foil minus the circle is? In that case, I agree, the COM will shift.

Yes, this is what I was asking. Sorry if I was unclear about it.

OK, one way of solving the problem is to consider how to combine two COM's to form their joint COM.

i.e. if the COM of A is at Ra, and the COM of B is at Rb, then the joint COM is at

Rab=(MaRa+MbRb)/(Ma+Mb), where Ma is the total mass of A.

If you cut out the circle without removing it- then the center of mass of the entire square (including the circle) has not changed. You can work out the COM of the circle and you can then balance an equation including the COM of the square with the circular cut.

Do you need to know the mass of the object to figure out the answer? I mean, what if the object was made of a different material, perhaps gold. If all of the same dimensions are used, will there be a different answer?

mnandlall said:
Do you need to know the mass of the object to figure out the answer? I mean, what if the object was made of a different material, perhaps gold. If all of the same dimensions are used, will there be a different answer?

I doubt it. Just use a mass 'M' for the total square, and it should drop out by the end.

1. What is the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass (COM) is a point in an object or system where its mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the object will balance, regardless of its orientation.

2. How is the Centre of Mass calculated?

The Centre of Mass can be calculated by dividing the total mass of an object by the sum of all the individual masses multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point. This can be represented by the equation: COM = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass and x is the distance from the reference point.

3. What is the significance of the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass is significant because it affects the stability and motion of an object. It is also used in various applications such as determining the equilibrium of a system, calculating torque, and predicting the trajectory of a moving object.

4. Can the Centre of Mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the Centre of Mass can be outside of an object if the object is irregularly shaped or has varying densities. In these cases, the mass distribution is not uniform and the Centre of Mass may not be located within the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How does the Centre of Mass change when an object is in motion?

The Centre of Mass remains constant in an isolated system, meaning that it does not change when an object is in motion. However, when external forces act on an object, its Centre of Mass may shift in the direction of the applied force, causing the object to move in a particular direction.