Calculating Center of Mass in Tank with Muddy Suspension | Homework Help

In summary, Ω is a tank shaped like a lower hemisphere with radius R. The tank contains a muddy suspension with density ρ(x,y,z) = e^-h(x,y,z), where h(x,y,z) is the height above the lowest point of the tank. The problem is to find the center of mass in the tank. To determine h(x,y,z), z is the vertical coordinate with z=0 at the bottom of the tank. The limit of integration can be determined graphically.
vintwc

Homework Statement

Let Ω be a tank whose shape is that of the lower hemisphere of radius R. The tank with a muddy suspension whose density ρ is ρ(x,y,z):=e^-h(x,y,z), where h(x,y,z) is the height of (x,y,z) above the lowest point of the tank. Find the center of mass in the tank

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, how does one determine the height, h(x,y,z)? I guess it would be R but I am not able to give a reasoning to my guess. I would appreciate if someone could give me a graphical illustration on how to find the limits of integration for this problem as well (ignore this if it will cause too much hassle). Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If z is the vertical coordinate, and z =0 at the bottom of the tank, then h(x,y,z) = z

I got a feeling its z+R. Could anyone let me know what are the phi limits of integration?

1. What is the center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension?

The center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension is the point at which the weight of the tank and its contents is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point at which the tank would balance if it were suspended from that point.

2. How is the center of mass calculated in a tank with muddy suspension?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the sum of the products of the mass of each individual part of the tank and its distance from a reference point. This sum is then divided by the total mass of the tank and its contents.

3. What factors affect the center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension?

The center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension is affected by the weight distribution of the tank and its contents, the shape and size of the tank, and the viscosity of the mud. Other factors such as external forces and changes in the terrain can also affect the center of mass.

4. Why is calculating the center of mass important in tanks with muddy suspension?

Calculating the center of mass is important in tanks with muddy suspension because it helps determine the stability and balance of the tank. Knowing the center of mass can also assist in making adjustments to the weight distribution to improve the tank's performance and prevent accidents.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the center of mass in tanks with muddy suspension?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the center of mass in tanks with muddy suspension. The calculations can only provide an estimate of the center of mass and may not be accurate in real-world situations due to external factors such as changing terrain or sudden movements of the tank. Additionally, the calculations may not account for the effects of other forces such as wind or uneven terrain.