1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of Mass

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    The diagram shows a pendant in the shape of a sector of a circle with center A. The radius is 4 cm and the angle at A is 0.4 radians. Three small holes of radius 0.1 cm, 0.2cm and 0.3 cm are cut away. The diameters of the holes lie along the axis of symmetry and their centers are 1, 2 and 3 cm respectively from A. The pendant can be modeled as a uniform lamina. Find the distance of the center of mass of the pendant from A.

Moments about A (y = 0 due to symmetry)

[itex] x = \frac{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4)\times(\frac{2\times4\times(sin(0.2))}{0.6}) - (0.1^2\pi\times(1)) - (0.2^2\pi\times(2))-(0.3^2\pi\times(3))}{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4) - (0.1^2\pi) - (0.2^2\pi) - (0.3^2\pi)}
    => x = 2.66...
    [/itex]
    However the answer is 2.47 :s

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    diagram?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Where's the center of mass of the sector itself?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    Anva0.png The diagram was rather rubbish so I didn't include it (it's pretty much exactly like this, just the circles centers are in the line of symmetry).

I've edited my original post to include the center of mass of the sector - I just copied it wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook