Calculating Center of Mass: Pendant Sector with Holes

In summary, the pendant in the shape of a sector of a circle with center A has a radius of 4 cm and an angle of 0.4 radians. Three small holes with diameters of 0.1 cm, 0.2 cm, and 0.3 cm are located along the axis of symmetry, with centers 1 cm, 2 cm, and 3 cm from A. The pendant can be modeled as a uniform lamina and the distance of its center of mass from A is 2.47 cm. The calculation for this distance takes into account the moments about A and the dimensions of the holes.
phospho
The diagram shows a pendant in the shape of a sector of a circle with center A. The radius is 4 cm and the angle at A is 0.4 radians. Three small holes of radius 0.1 cm, 0.2cm and 0.3 cm are cut away. The diameters of the holes lie along the axis of symmetry and their centers are 1, 2 and 3 cm respectively from A. The pendant can be modeled as a uniform lamina. Find the distance of the center of mass of the pendant from A. Moments about A (y = 0 due to symmetry)

[itex] x = \frac{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4)\times(\frac{2\times4\times(sin(0.2))}{0.6}) - (0.1^2\pi\times(1)) - (0.2^2\pi\times(2))-(0.3^2\pi\times(3))}{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4) - (0.1^2\pi) - (0.2^2\pi) - (0.3^2\pi)}
=> x = 2.66...
[/itex]
However the answer is 2.47 :s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
diagram?

Where's the center of mass of the sector itself?

Anva0.png
The diagram was rather rubbish so I didn't include it (it's pretty much exactly like this, just the circles centers are in the line of symmetry).

I've edited my original post to include the center of mass of the sector - I just copied it wrong.

I would like to point out that the calculation provided in the content may not be entirely accurate. The formula used to calculate the center of mass, also known as the centroid, of a two-dimensional object is incorrect. The correct formula is:

x = \frac{\sum{(x_i\times A_i)}}{\sum{A_i}}

Where x_i and A_i represent the x-coordinate and area of each individual component, respectively.

In this case, the pendant can be divided into three components - the sector, and the two holes. Using this formula, the correct calculation for the distance of the center of mass from point A would be:

x = \frac{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4)\times(\frac{2\times4\times(sin(0.2))}{0.6}) + (0.1^2\pi\times(1)) + (0.2^2\pi\times(2))+(0.3^2\pi\times(3))}{(0.5\times4^2\times0.4) + (0.1^2\pi) + (0.2^2\pi) + (0.3^2\pi)}

This gives a value of 2.47 cm, which matches the given answer. Therefore, the correct distance of the center of mass from point A is 2.47 cm. It is important to use the correct formula and take into account all the individual components when calculating the center of mass of an object.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which an object will balance in any orientation.

2. How do you calculate the center of mass for a pendant sector with holes?

To calculate the center of mass for a pendant sector with holes, you will need to use the formula: x = (Σmi * xi) / Σmi, where x is the x-coordinate of the center of mass, mi is the mass of each component, and xi is the x-coordinate of each component. You will also need to calculate the y-coordinate using the same formula. Once you have both coordinates, the center of mass can be represented as (x,y).

3. Why is calculating the center of mass important for a pendant sector with holes?

Calculating the center of mass is important because it helps to determine the stability and balance of the pendant sector. This information is crucial for understanding how the object will behave and how it can be manipulated.

4. What factors can affect the center of mass for a pendant sector with holes?

The factors that can affect the center of mass for a pendant sector with holes include the size and shape of the holes, the distribution of mass within the sector, and the orientation of the sector. These factors can all impact the location of the center of mass and must be taken into consideration when calculating it.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of the object if the distribution of mass is uneven. This is common in objects with irregular shapes or holes, as the center of mass may not be located within the physical boundaries of the object. In these cases, the center of mass can still be used to determine the stability and balance of the object.