1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of Mass

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1

There is a question in my textbook that I dont understand the answer too. THey show a diagram of a baseball bat and say if the baseball bad it cut at the location of its center of mass, do the two pieces have the same mass? They say no, the piece with the handle will have less mass than the piece of the other end.

I really dont understand why. I think Im missing out on an important concept of centre of mass. If someone could explain the reasoning behind this answer Id really appreciate it!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    Think about it , does the c.m location of an object is such that it always divides the object into two equal masses? . C.M depends on distribution of masses at different distances from a reference point. So the c.m would be placed nearer to greater mass distribution in a confined area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?