1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of pressure

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    Is centre of pressure the same way they represent curl in mathematics ? i.e representation of pressure condensed to a single point?

Also,on a tv show,the presenter said this about the air-brakes on a P-28 fighter,"The air-brakes change the centre of pressure thereby allowing the wind-flow to stick at high speeds".What does he mean by this?
    ASIDE:Since I guess the representation of centre of pressure is pretty similar to curl,could someone please tell me why mathematicians use the gradient to represent curl?

As a engineer,I'm more used to seeing exercises where curl is calculated using the position vector 'dr' and then taking the line integrals.How can I prove that the gradient x field=line integral stuff ???
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Center of pressure is like a center of mass. In aircraft it is kinda where the wing's lift appears to be acting.
    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/cp.html

The description in the documentary sounds like garbled rubbish to me. Clearly the air-brake changes the pressure distribution dramatically giving you a lot of drag which could be described as making the air stick ...

AFAIK. mathematicians represent curl as, well, curl. You mean [itex]\text{curl}(\vec{V}) = \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}[/itex]? This is the differential form of the integral equations you are used to - they are easier to use in general. Multiply it out and see what happens.

Gradient is like this: [itex]\text{grad}V=\nabla V[/itex] and the other one is the divergence: [itex]\text{div}(\vec{V}) = \vec{nabla}\cdot\vec{V}[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook