1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of rotation

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    "A car is driving on a circular racetrack, which is inclined at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The centre of rotation for the track lies in the horizontal plane, and is 45 m from the centre fo the racetrack and 5.0 m above ground level. The car's tires have a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.35. The car is driving at the maximum possible speed to stay in its position on the narrow track. All of a sudden, the car hits an oil slick and the coefficient of friction is reduced to 0. Where, relative to the centre of the track, does the car crash into the ground?"

I need help visualizing this problem. Where exactly is this "centre of rotation for the track"?
    Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi sparkle123! :smile:

Your problem appears to be badly formulated.
    It should say:
    "The centre of rotation for the track lies in the horizontal plane, and is 45 m from the car and 5.0 m above ground level."

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Thanks I like Serena! :)

so centre of rotation for the track = centre of track?

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook