1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifical force of earth

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    How long would a day be if the Earth were rotating so fast that objects at the equator had no weight?

I do Fcnet = m(v^2/r) --> mg = m(v^2/r) --> g = (v^2/r)

g = (v^2/r)
    but g = 0 right? so then how do i do this problem? that would make v = 0 and ya...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

g is the acceleration due to gravity. Its value is independent of any spin of the Earth.

4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    ok thanks. unfortunately the answer isnt given so idk if im right until monday. i did:
    g = (v^2)/r
    9.8 = (v^2)/6.38e6
    v =7907

40086722 (distance of Earth in m)/7907 = 5069 seconds
    = 1.4 hours per day.

i have one more question and then im done.

A train traveling at a constant speed rounds a curve of radius 275m. A pendulum suspende dfrom the ceiling swings out to an anglr of 17.5 throughot the turn. What is the speed of the train?

Fcnet = m(v^2/r)
    Fk = m (v^2/r)
    coeff of friction * mg = m(v^2/r)

i dont know the coefficient of friction or v. im supposed to solve for v. am i not supposed to use friction as the force? and how do i factor the 17.5 degree swing fo the pendulum into this?

thanks a lot for the help

5. Oct 23, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

train problem

First figure out the acceleration of the train by analyzing the forces on the pendulum.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    would this be correct then?
    Fnet=ma
    mg(cos17.5)=ma
    9.8(cos17.5)=a
    9.34=a

(v^2)/r = a
    (v^2)/275 = 9.34
    v^2 = 2568
    v = 50.7 m/s

7. Oct 23, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. Start by identifying the forces acting on the pendulum mass. (There are two forces.) Then apply Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?