1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifigal Force

1. Jul 10, 2003 #1
    I am currently try to figure out the amount of pressure on a moving part that weights about an 1/2 oz. It spins at a rate of 285 rpms around the outside of a 4 inch cylinder.
    I'm sure there has to be a formula of some sort that can assist in this calculation. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Thanks,
    RanMan
    www.prewettmills.com

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2003 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

F= Mv²/r

where M is the mass of the object,

v is it's velocity

r the radius

You'll have to convert oz to mass units and find the object's velocity from the radius and rpm.

4. Jul 10, 2003 #3
    Janus, I appoligize for the detailed questions but I know absolutely nothing about physics.
    I do not know how to determine the velocity nor do I know how to convert ounces to mass. I'm sorry for not knowing a thing about physics.
    All I know is the information that i need which is the force.

Thanks,
    RanMan
    www.prewettmills.com

5. Jul 10, 2003 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the unit of mass in the FPS system is the slug, and a one slug mass would weigh 32.175 lbs, and there are 16 ounces to a lb.

so mass = 1/(32.175x16)/2 = .0009625 slug.

The circumfernce of a circle of radius 4 in. is 2*4* pi = 25.13 in. or 2.094 ft.

This is the distance the object travels in one revolution. it does this 285 times per min, so its velocity is 2.094*285 = 596.79 ft/min.

divide this by 60 to get ft/sec for 9.9465 ft/sec and you have v

thus
    r = .33333 ft
    M= .0009625 slugs
    v= 9.9465 ft/sec

plug them in to the formula, and you'll get the force in pounds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?