Efficient Testing Methods for Centrifugal Blowers - Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter maxx_payne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centrifugal
In summary: The power required to move the fluid is measured at different inlet velocities and then the power is calculated using the Bernoulli equation. Efficiency can be calculated from the power and the inlet velocity.
maxx_payne
centrifugal blower ?

how can i test a centrifugal blower ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

eeeeeeeeeeeeeh no answers ?

What do you want to test it for, head, flow, efficiency what does it blow and what does it do with the fluid that it blows?

With a question that simple, here is a simple answer:

- You connect it to a motor of known power output.

-You measure the pressure and temperature at inlet and outlet, and the mass flow rate.

- From those numbers, you calculate the actual power done on the fluid.

- Divide the actual power done on the fluid by the known shaft power to obtain the efficiency of the unit.

- Repeat for different rpm, throughout the rpm range.

thanx for your very simple answer :D
can u tell me i need more information about blowers where can i get it ?

maxx_payne said:

A textbook on Applied Fluid Mechanics or similar will have a section on blowers.

CS

maxx_payne said:

Basic info can be obtain on this http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html?" . It's about turbos, but the compressor of a turbo is a centrifugal compressor which is connected to a turbine instead of the crankshaft. So what applies to one, applies to the other.

For more detailed info on their designs, you need a book about turbomachinery similar to this http://books.google.ca/books?id=s4Q...resnum=3&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false".

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a standard for blower testing: Performance Test Code (PTC) 10. It provides a standard method to measure a blower head / flow curve.

1. What are some common testing methods used for centrifugal blowers?

Some common testing methods for centrifugal blowers include flow testing, pressure testing, vibration testing, noise testing, and efficiency testing.

2. How do you perform flow testing on a centrifugal blower?

To perform flow testing, a professional will use a flow meter to measure the volume of air being moved by the blower. The blower is operated at different speeds and the flow rate is recorded to determine its performance.

3. What is the purpose of pressure testing for centrifugal blowers?

Pressure testing is used to determine the maximum pressure that a blower can generate. This is important for applications where the blower needs to overcome high levels of resistance or backpressure.

4. Can vibration testing help identify potential issues with a centrifugal blower?

Yes, vibration testing is an important method for detecting any potential issues with a centrifugal blower. By measuring the level of vibration, professionals can identify any imbalances, wear and tear, or other mechanical problems that may affect the performance of the blower.

5. How can noise testing be beneficial for centrifugal blowers?

Noise testing is used to measure the sound levels produced by a blower. This is important for determining the noise level in a specific environment and ensuring that the blower meets any applicable noise regulations. It can also help identify any potential mechanical issues that may be causing excessive noise.