Can a fan or prop handle high pressure and volume for a 12 inch plenum?

In summary: If "thrust" is what you need, this probably changes things because it implies that this device is part of a vehicle that moves. I'm liking WhatIsGravity's jet engine idea. And it the OP you just said "hole in the plenum" -- can it be a nozzle?Yes, a nozzle works better than a sharp hole for producing thrust.
Dave Friesen
I am trying to figure something out and having a lot of difficulty. I would sure appreciate some help. I have a situation where I will need either a fan or a prop. It will need to build up 10-20 lbs of pressure in a plenum but will also need to be able to provide a constant force a large amount of air through a 12 inch hole in the plenum. I will, therefore need a high volume, high pressure unit, no? Is something like that even possible? I am just a Joe Smook with no high edumacation like most of you folk. Would anyone be willing to help me with this? Thank you in advance. Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

That's a huge amount of power that you're talking about;. Thousands of horsepower. What is the purpose of this? Supersonic wind tunnel?

10-20 psi of air through a 12" opening? Are you sure your specs are right? I'm with Russ, what are you doing? I'd think you'll need a million dollar jet turbine to get those kind of volumes, pressures, and flows.

Likes russ_watters
I agree with both of the above. Please give more information about your application. In engineering: More and better information = More and better help

Thanks very kindly for the replies. I am told I can not state what it is for at this time (my apologies), but it is not a super-sonic air tunnel. This, however means that I would have to significantly reduce the size of the outlet duct or be satisfied with a considerably lower pressure. Am I correct in this?

If I had a couple of 1 or 2 inch outlets, would they be able to produce any kind of thrust?

Dave Friesen said:
If I had a couple of 1 or 2 inch outlets, would they be able to produce any kind of thrust?
Thrust? You might start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust

Dave Friesen said:
It will need to build up 10-20 lbs of pressure in a plenum but ...
Is that pounds per square inch or pounds per square foot ?
That only makes a scale factor of 144 in the question.

Dave Friesen said:
Thanks very kindly for the replies. I am told I can not state what it is for at this time (my apologies), but it is not a super-sonic air tunnel. This, however means that I would have to significantly reduce the size of the outlet duct or be satisfied with a considerably lower pressure. Am I correct in this?
Unfortunately, that's a question you must answer, not us. Only you know what your requirements and resources are. If you won't tell us the application, can you tell us what the maximum horsepower that is feasible for you to deploy? You are implying but didn't actually say that thousands is too much.
Certainly. But if "thrust" is what you need, this probably changes things because it implies that this device is part of a vehicle that moves. I'm liking WhatIsGravity's jet engine idea. And it the OP you just said "hole in the plenum" -- can it be a nozzle? Because a nozzle works better than a sharp hole for producing thrust.

We really can't provide much useful help here without knowing what the point of this query is and what the constraints are. If this is part of a serious project, you are probably best off to hire an engineer and make that person sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Last edited:
the other thing that can change things drastically is how much back pressure is likely? as in a hovercraft you have the skirt supporting pressure being exhausted.

What is a centrifugal fan?

A centrifugal fan is a mechanical device that uses a rotating impeller to create a flow of air or gas. This flow is created by the centrifugal force generated by the rotation of the impeller.

How does a centrifugal fan work?

A centrifugal fan works by using the rotation of an impeller to create a flow of air or gas. The impeller draws in air from the center of the fan and then uses centrifugal force to push the air outwards, creating the desired flow.

What are the applications of centrifugal fans?

Centrifugal fans are commonly used in HVAC systems, industrial processes, and ventilation systems. They can also be found in home appliances such as air conditioners and clothes dryers.

What is the difference between a centrifugal fan and a prop fan?

A centrifugal fan uses centrifugal force to create a flow of air, while a prop fan, also known as a propeller fan, uses the rotation of angled blades to create a flow of air. Centrifugal fans are better suited for high-pressure applications, while prop fans are better for low-pressure, high-volume applications.

What factors should be considered when selecting a centrifugal fan?

The factors that should be considered when selecting a centrifugal fan include the required air flow rate, pressure, and power consumption, as well as the size and shape of the space, the type of material being moved, and any specific requirements for noise level or efficiency.