Does centrifugal force affect weight at different latitudes on Earth?

In summary: In combination, the equatorial bulge and the effects of the surface centrifugal force due to rotation mean that sea-level effective gravity increases from about 9.780 m/s2 at the Equator to about 9.832 m/s2 at the poles, so an object will weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the Equator.
John E4-D5
As a result of various searches on the Net, I have ended up here on this fantastic site. Specifically, it was an old 2008 thread in which was closed, so in order for me to expand on such discussion I've decided to make my own thread; by which I will go a slightly different direction with.

Gravity pulls everything towards the center of the earth, and centrifugal force slightly lessens the effect of gravity's pull. Due to Earth's spin, of course.

Now, at the equator the Earth spins 1500 - 1700 mph. I'm not sure what the specific speed is because everyone uses a different number. But that is besides the point.

Here's my thought experiment for you: If I fly to the equator, and weigh myself at 160 lbs, and then I go to the North Pole, will I weigh more or less than 160 lbs.? If so, by how much?

The circumference of the Earth at the equator is much more than the circumference of the Earth close to the North pole, which would mean that the effects of the centrifugal force would be less, therefore I should weigh more right?

Would this be a reasonable experiment to do, or has it already been done?

Very much looking forward to your replies and insights! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
John E4-D5 said:
As a result of various searches on the Net, I have ended up here on this fantastic site.
Welcome to PF!
Gravity pulls everything towards the center of the earth, and centrifugal force slightly lessens the effect of gravity's pull. Due to Earth's spin, of course.
Yes.
Now, at the equator the Earth spins 1500 - 1700 mph. I'm not sure what the specific speed is because everyone uses a different number.
Can't you do the calculation yourself? Those values actually aren't all that close.
Here's my thought experiment for you: If I fly to the equator, and weigh myself at 160 lbs, and then I go to the North Pole, will I weigh more or less than 160 lbs.? If so, by how much?

Would this be a reasonable experiment to do, or has it already been done?
NASA has satellites that map the Earth's gravitational field in exquisite detail, being able to detect the differences caused by mountain ranges, oceans and the varying thickness of the crust. Here's the amount of variation:
Effective gravity on the Earth's surface varies by around 0.7%, from 9.7639 m/s2 on the Nevado Huascarán mountain in Peru to 9.8337 m/s2 at the surface of the Arctic Ocean.[4] In large cities, it ranges from 9.766 in Kuala Lumpur, Mexico City, and Singapore to 9.825 in Oslo and Helsinki...

In combination, the equatorial bulge and the effects of the surface centrifugal force due to rotation mean that sea-level effective gravity increases from about 9.780 m/s2 at the Equator to about 9.832 m/s2 at the poles, so an object will weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the Equator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth#Variation_in_gravity_and_apparent_gravity

Note that in addition to the centrifugal force, there is also the issue that when on the pole, you are closer to the Earth's center.

russ_watters said:
NASA has satellites that map the Earth's gravitational field in exquisite detail, being able to detect the differences caused by mountain ranges, oceans and the varying thickness of the crust.
It should be noted, that those satellites do not detect the differences due to centrifugal effects.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, caused by the inertia of the object trying to move in a straight line.

2. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on the object.

3. How can I demonstrate centrifugal force in an experiment?

A common experiment involves swinging a bucket of water in a circular motion. As the bucket moves in a circular path, the water stays in the bucket due to the centripetal force, but the bucket exerts an outward centrifugal force on the water, causing it to appear to stick to the sides of the bucket instead of falling out.

4. Is centrifugal force a real force?

No, centrifugal force is a fictitious force, meaning it is only observed in a non-inertial reference frame. In reality, the object is moving in a straight line, and the centrifugal force is just an apparent force that arises due to the rotation of the reference frame.

5. What is the relationship between centrifugal force and angular velocity?

The centrifugal force is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity. This means that the faster an object is spinning, the greater the centrifugal force acting on it will be.