1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifugal Force help

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    I have been having trouble with three problems from various homeworks.

1. A 500 g ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a 1.5-m-long string. When the ball is at the bottom of the circle, the tension in the string is 15 N. What is the speed of the ball at that point?

2.It is proposed that future space stations create an artificial gravity by rotating. Suppose a space station is constructed as a 1000-m-diameter cylinder that rotates about its axis. The inside surface is the deck of the space station. What rotation period will provide "normal" gravity?

3.A 500 g steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 2.0-m-long massless rod. Compressed air fed through the rod is ejected from a Inozzle on the back of the block, exerting a thrust force of 3.5 N. The nozzle is 70* from the radial line. The block starts from rest. What is the block's angular velocity after 10 rev? What is the tension in the rod after 10 rev?

If someone could help me out with these problems I would really appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to Homework Help.

Welcome to the PF, agk23. One of the rules here (see the "Rules" link at the top of the page) is that you must show some of your own work and thoughts before we can offer our tutorial help.

So what general equations would you use for these types of questions? How would you approach applying those equations to questions -1- ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?