1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifugal force question! need help!

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    Calculate the centrifugal acceleration associated with

a.) The rotation of the Earth around its axis, as measured on the equator
    b.) The Earth moving around the Earth-Sun centre of mass. Assume the orbit is circular
    c._ The Sun moving around the Earth-Sun centre of mass. Same assumption as in b.)

Work shown...

i'm so confused with centrifugal and centripetal acceleration... but this question is asking for 'centrifugal' accel.

for a.) i did a_z= (omega^2)*(x)
    where omega= sqrt (G*(M+m))/(r^3))

i don't understand how measure this since it's at the equator

for b.) do i simply use the weight of the earth, earth, and distance from the earth to the sun.. and sub in

for c>0 do i simply use the weight of the sun, earth, and distance from the earth to the sun.. and if so what's the difference

need a lot of help here.. please help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi johnq2k7! :smile:
    "Centrifugal" just means the opposite of centripetal … it's a daft way of asking the question, like "A rocket is launched into space: what is its speed downwards?" :rolleyes:
    no, this is geometry, not physics …

you're not asked why is there acceleration (gravity etc), only what is the acceleration …

for that, you only need to know the length of the day and the year (and you can look that up in a diary :wink:), and the distances involved. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook