Explain Centripetal & Centrifugal Force to Inanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around explaining the concept of centrifugal force to a group of acquaintances who are having trouble understanding it. The speaker has tried explaining it using examples and analogies, but the group still doesn't get it. They also mention that some people believe in things that are not real because it helps them understand the world better. The speaker suggests using a rotating reference frame to understand centrifugal force, but ultimately, it is a fallacy and not a real force.
SelmerSaxMan
I am having problems explaining the a certain group of inanic acquaintences that just can't understand that centrifugal force, is a fallacy. I have explained centripetal force and Newtons first law, but they still don't get it. could any of you help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'centrifugal' force is the change in inertia that the body feels as the centripetal force changes its direction.

Tell them that the centrifugal force is not real in the same sense that the force which pushes you back in your seat (in a dragster, for example) is not a real force. Its inertia.

Like Crosson. Tell them about the easily understood exemple of when a car breaks suddenly. There is no force pushing the passengers foward. It's the car that has suddenly stopped but the passengers keep on going due to inertia. Then say that the centrifugal force is the same principle: when the car turns, it is rectifying its trajectory, but since the passengers are not submitted to any force, their trajectory remains unchaged (first law).

thankyou all - I tried explaining it to them that way, but thay have better sources...wikipedia - according to them...its a "resultant force" oh well, they will only look stupid for the rest of their lives.

My father, the Geography teacher also doesn't get it.

Some day, I am going to build a demo to debunk the myth using a bicycle wheel and a marble.

Tell them that some minds prefer to run around in a small, comfortable circle, and that they are kept from running into themselves by the centrifugal force, while other minds think straight, in which case a centrifugal force is not required.

Bengt

hahaha, I will post that there. Here is the link, if you would like. None of them give me any respect there - I am a 18 year old, professional woodwind repair technician - they are all hobbyists. Denial, I think, or perhaps impotism?

Not to mention, you can't even begin to expect them to be able to understand Newton's third! Let alone, any other aspect of physics. Not that I am some junior stephen hawking or anything. but hey, it is just sad when people in their 30's to 70's still argue with fact.

that's because physics is STILL not a required course even in high schools across america! Let us rejoice... :frown:

In defense of the less gifted we need to remember that Physics 101 used to teach people that there was such a thing as Centrifugal Force. Look at it this way: Centrifugal Force is just a name that was given to the very specific inertial "force" required to be overcome when a body in motion is forced to accelerate in a direction perpendicular to that of its straight line motion. We gave the name Centrifugal Force to this seemingly apparent but non-existant force because we could "feel it" when we swing a mass around. Things that we do not understand we tend to put into little boxes and give them cute names to maintain the impression that we understand and control things around us. For example: the Devil, or God, or Gravitrons. Things that do not exist but we have a need to believe in because without them we would have to admit that we do not know it all yet.

Bengt

P.S. There is nothing wrong in Believing if it makes Your World a better one.

Idea:

Tell them that the centrifugal force is only a term you get in Newtons second law when you use a rotating reference frame. When you switch to a stationary reference frame there is no need for a centrifugal force.

1. What is centripetal force and how does it work?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular motion. This force is created by the combination of an object's velocity and the centripetal acceleration it experiences.

2. What is centrifugal force and how does it differ from centripetal force?

Centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is experienced by an object moving in a circular motion. It is not actually a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of the object trying to continue moving in a straight line. It is always equal and opposite in direction to the centripetal force.

3. Can you give an example of centripetal and centrifugal force in everyday life?

An example of centripetal force is the force exerted on a car when making a turn on a curved road. The friction between the tires and the road acts as the centripetal force, keeping the car moving in a circular motion. An example of centrifugal force is the feeling of being pushed to the side when a car turns sharply. This is due to the inertia of the body trying to continue moving in a straight line.

4. How are centripetal and centrifugal forces related to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Centripetal force acts as the external force that changes the object's direction and keeps it moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The centrifugal force is the reaction force to the centripetal force.

5. How are centripetal and centrifugal forces used in science and technology?

Centripetal and centrifugal forces are used in various scientific and technological applications. Some examples include centrifuges used in laboratories to separate different components of a mixture, roller coasters that use centripetal force to keep the cars on the track, and the centrifugal force experienced by astronauts in space due to the rotation of their spacecraft. They are also used in the design of engines, turbines, and other machines that involve circular motion.