Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifugal pump as turbine

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    Centrifugal pump as turbine!!

Dear Friends,

Francis turbine and centrifugal pump has got the same (reverse ofcourse) technologies rt. Have they both got the same manufacturing criterion? will centrifugal pumb, if used as a turbine, have the same efficiency as that of francis turbine?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Centrifugal pump as turbine!!

It is common in fluid power to use the same device as either a pump or a motor, sometimes alternately so in the same system. There would be some difference in efficiency depending on if the device was primarily designed as a pump or a motor, and upon how closely it is operating to its design point. It is possible to be more efficient as a pump at one design point and as a motor at another design point

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  4. May 23, 2012 #3

So, how to select a centrifugal pump to be used as a turbine to get the best efficiency.
    From the pump curves how can we find that?
    Say if the operating conditions are, 10 mtr head and discharge of 1 m3/sec.

5. May 23, 2012 #4

I would contact the engineering department of the pump manufacturer. I've never seen enough information in the published data to figure that out. In some cases you will have to depend upon his intuitive opinion based upon his experience under similar conditions.

6. May 24, 2012 #5

Someone has already studied and published in 1977 US Dept of the Interior
    http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/hydraulics_lab/pubs/EM/EM39.pdf [Broken]
    A good friday night read - lots of graphs

although I do not know if optimization is reached for either turbine/pump mode in relation to what pkruse stated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook