Calculating Force for 5.0g Object at 11000 g's

• Thread starter Paulbird20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centrifuge
In summary, to calculate the force required to accelerate a 5.0g object at 11000 g's in a centrifuge, you can use the equation F = M*A, where M is the mass of the object and A is the centripetal acceleration. It is important to convert the acceleration from G's to m/s^2 and the mass from grams to kilograms for the correct answer.
Paulbird20
Force required to accelerate 5.0g object at 11000 g's. (in a centrifuge)
But it does not give me rpm or diameter so how can i calculate the force?

Im assuming it really doesn't matter that its in a centrifuge? Any leads would help

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the equation of force using Newton 2. What is the value of the centripetal acceleration?

F= M* A

I tried converting the acceleration out of G's by dividing 11000 by 9.8 then times it by 5... Do i need to convert the mass out of grams and into KG?

Paulbird20 said:
F= M* A

I tried converting the acceleration out of G's by dividing 11000 by 9.8 then times it by 5... Do i need to convert the mass out of grams and into KG?
A "G" is shorthand for the acceleration of gravity, 1 G is 9.8m/s^2 acceleration. You've got 11000 G's...you should be multiplying, not dividing. And yes, if you want your answer in the basic SI force unit of Newtons, mass must be expressed in kilograms.

Awsome i got it. Thank you so much phanthom jay i was dividing the 11000/ 9.8 rather than multiplying ;)

1. How do you calculate force for a 5.0g object at 11000 g's?

To calculate force, you can use the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass is 5.0g and the acceleration is 11000 g's. So the force would be 5.0g x 11000 g's = 55,000 grams-force or 55 Newtons.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N). However, in some cases, grams-force (gf) or pounds-force (lbf) may also be used.

3. Can you provide an example of an object experiencing 11000 g's of acceleration?

An example of an object experiencing 11000 g's of acceleration would be a rocket launching into space. During liftoff, the rocket experiences high levels of acceleration, which can reach up to 11000 g's.

4. How does 11000 g's compare to Earth's gravitational acceleration?

Earth's gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s² or 1 g. So 11000 g's is significantly higher than Earth's gravitational acceleration.

5. Can force be measured in negative values?

Yes, force can be measured in negative values. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the force being measured as positive. For example, if a force of -10 N is applied in the opposite direction of a force of 10 N, the net force would be 0 N.