Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles: Centrifuge RPM Calculation

• Thread starter Aaronse_r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centrifuge
In summary: It might be possible to run a filter, but I'm not sure if the zinc ferrite would be too large to pass through a standard filter. If there are other particles in the solution, it might be difficult to get them all through the filter.
Aaronse_r
Hey, I've been reading on this site for a week of so now, and just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions. Very helpfull!

My question is, I am making zinc ferrite nano-particles and i was wondering at what RPM i should set the centrifuge to, so that the zinc ferrite comes out of solution. Is there anyway of calculating this or is it simply trial and error? I have tried putting it next to a magnet instead of centrifuge, but it is slow. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
These particles would be colloidal in nature and would not be easy to isolate by centrifugation either. It can be done and is called ultracentrifugation. I think the 'ultra' in ultracentrifugation means to 'turn the knob to its fastest setting and wait awhile'.

Magnetic centrifuge maybe? I'm sure someone's invented it. :biggrin:

Aaronse_r said:
Hey, I've been reading on this site for a week of so now, and just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions. Very helpfull!

My question is, I am making zinc ferrite nano-particles and i was wondering at what RPM i should set the centrifuge to, so that the zinc ferrite comes out of solution. Is there anyway of calculating this or is it simply trial and error? I have tried putting it next to a magnet instead of centrifuge, but it is slow. Thanks!

More accurately, you should ask how many times g you need to set the centrifuge for, and then calculate the appropriate RPM for the rotor in your model (if you still have the instruction manual, often you don't even have to break out a pencil and calculator, just look for the conversion table :biggrin:).

Ultracentrifugation does NOT mean just set the centrifuge on its highest setting. It means use an ultracentrifuge that reaches MUCH higher g forces than a standard laboratory centrifuge (50,000 or 75,000 x g upward to about 1,000,000 x g).

If you need an ultracentrifuge and only have a standard laboratory centrifuge, you're unlikely to get any reasonable separation.

Can you run your sample through a filter (with centrifugation if necessary) to do a size separation? I don't know what else is in your solution to have a clue if this is feasible (and still might not have a clue if I did know).

1. What is Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles?

Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles are tiny particles made up of zinc and iron oxide, with a particle size ranging from 1-100 nanometers. They have unique magnetic and electrical properties, making them useful in various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How are Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles synthesized?

Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles are typically synthesized through chemical precipitation methods, where zinc and iron salts are mixed in a solution and heated to create the particles. They can also be synthesized through other methods such as sol-gel synthesis and hydrothermal synthesis.

3. What is the purpose of calculating centrifuge RPM for Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles?

Centrifugation is a common method used to separate particles of different sizes and densities. In the case of Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles, calculating the appropriate centrifuge RPM can help to separate them from other larger particles or impurities, resulting in a more pure sample for further experimentation.

4. How do you calculate the appropriate centrifuge RPM for Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles?

The appropriate centrifuge RPM for Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles can be calculated using the Stokes' law formula, which takes into account the particle size, density, and viscosity of the solution. This calculation can also be done using online centrifuge RPM calculators or with the help of a scientific calculator.

5. What factors can affect the centrifuge RPM calculation for Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles?

Some factors that can affect the centrifuge RPM calculation for Zinc Ferrite Nano-Particles include the particle size distribution, shape, and density of the particles, as well as the viscosity and temperature of the solution. It is important to carefully consider these factors when calculating the appropriate centrifuge RPM for optimal separation.