1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripedal Acceleration

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently working a project that involves a car going around a circle. Right now, i am just simplifying it down to just the car and the circle (not including anything about the friction between the tires, or any other forces.) So it should be fairly straightfoward, but i dont understand why i am getting a rediculously large answer...

The Circle's radius is 25meters. At a given instance the car is traveling around the circle on the outmost side (25 meters) at a velocity of 35 m/s. The mass of the car is 1134kg, the weight is 2500lbs.

2. Relevant equations
    i just used Centripedal Acceleration= Mass * Velocity Squared over
    Radius Squared
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem is i keep getting 5556.6 as my acceleration. Thats seems wayyyy to large for an answer. Am i missing something?
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2
    You are using the wrong formula, that's why. What is the formula for centripedal acceleration? (If you're wondering, you gave the centripedal force) Check your answer after you use the correct formula, thanks.

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    I thought centripedal acceleration is related in the same direction as the centripedal force. Im very unclear about this....

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Calculate the physical dimension of your quantity. Is it the physical dimension of acceleration, for example m/s^2?

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    O_O the equation for centripal acceleration is Velcoity squared over radius...

How then does centripedal force relate to the car? which direction, and why is it soo large?

7. Dec 14, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So large as what?

8. Dec 14, 2006 #7
    alright... i got the acceleration... its 49m/s^2

Now my question is, if i have a centripital force of 5556.6, what units should that be in... newtons?
    thanks
    Andrew

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What units does newtons correspond to in the SI system?

10. Dec 14, 2006 #9
    Force is measured in a specific unit. Check the units that you used to come up with the force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?