Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripedal acceleration

Tags:
  1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    I have attached a sensor measuring acceleration to a bicycle wheel. I was hoping to be able to trace out the circle with accurate measurements for the radius of the bike wheel by integrating my data however I have realised that my sensor is of course undergoing centripetal acceleration however as the x and y axis of the sensor is rotating with the device ( it's a dual axis device) then thre is a problem is I simply plot x measurements against y measurement. Is there a way around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you want to measure? A way around what?

Your sensor will always see centripetal acceleration going in the same direction - let's call that direction "x" (towards the center of the bike). For typical velocities of a bike, this will be by far the largest contribution to the measured accelerations. Smaller contributions come from gravity and accelerations of the bike.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    Well I would like to trace out the displacement of sensor and so get a circle by intergrating acceleration twice. But As you say I have rotational acceleration etc is there anyway I can convert this to linear displacement so that I trace out the wheel circle of radius 30 cm? I am using a dual axis device

5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If you can neglect a change in the speed of the bike, centripetal acceleration should be constant and can be subtracted.
    Otherwise, you'll have to add some assumptions about your motion I think.

6. Oct 29, 2014 #5
    Well I know that it would be subtracted out to then give tangential acceleration, however as the axis are moving with sensor on wheel of bike I am a bit confused how I can get an overall displacement. I am thinking that because these axis move with sensor how can I trace out an overall circle?

7. Oct 29, 2014 #6
    To be honest I think i have an idea but I am not sure if there is something I am not considering... This is my steps of my approach that I am thinking to take
    a. remove centripedal acceleration
    b. Using my frequency (it at some point 3 Hz) of bike turn I am able to work out how much angle it has travelled at any given time.
    c. I know that axis travels with object so to the convert to overall axis I convert between my axis and inertial axis
    9268836e8d0976bb16bbe0e785c4c6dd.png
    f6bf779ae61390484a8acbe2e707f965.png

is this correct approach.

8. Oct 30, 2014 #7

mfb

2016 Award

If you know the rotation frequency and the radius of the wheel, you are done - this gives you the velocity and integrating over that gives the displacement.
    Based on the velocity you get, you can also check if the centripetal acceleration matches the expected value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook