Centripedal force velocity question.

In summary, Tarzan is planning to swing from one tree branch to another using a vine that is 30 m long. The vine makes an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. The question asks for Tarzan's velocity at the bottom of his swing towards Jane's branch. The mass of Tarzan is not needed for the calculation, and energy conservation can be used to solve the problem.
bballboy1191
Tarzan is standing on a limb of a tree, holding onto a vine whose length is 30 m. Seeing Jane on a branch of another tree, Tarzan decides to use the vine to swing oer to Jane's branch. The vine he is holding onto makes an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. What will be Tarzan's velocity at the bottom of his swing toward Jane?

the question doesn't give you a mass, i have no clue how to do it
any help is appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the mass. (Just call it "m" and continue.)

Hint: What's conserved?

what is conserved?? I am guessing you mean energy. so if i use the equation final energy = initial energy with all the mass canceling out and then i find the height of tarzan in the middle of his swing in relation to tarzan at the beginning of his swing, i should be able to calculate the final velocity, correct?

Sounds to me like you've got it.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to velocity?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the velocity of the object. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object in a circular path also increases.

3. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

The centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object, but it is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity. This results in the object continuously changing its direction and maintaining a constant speed.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force on an object?

The centripetal force on an object depends on its mass, velocity, and the radius of the circular path it is moving in. The greater the mass or velocity of the object, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it in a circular path. Similarly, a smaller radius will require a greater centripetal force.

5. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.