Centripetal Acceleration again

In summary, the centripetal acceleration is related to the period of a motion by the equation a_c=v^2/r. The ratio a_c, second / a_c, minute is found by taking the derivative of x and y with respect to time.
rockmorg
Hey all -

I've got a problem that's rather encompassing...

The second hand and the minute hand on one type of clock are the same length. What is the period T of the motion for the second hand and for the minute hand?

It goes on to say the centripetal acceleration is given by a_c = v^2/r where v is speed and r is the radius. How is centripetal acceleration related to the period?

And then finally it asks for the ratio a_c, second / a_c, minute for the tips of the second hand and the minute hand.

I'm not even sure where to start really...

Any help would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
rockmorg said:
Hey all -
I've got a problem that's rather encompassing...
The second hand and the minute hand on one type of clock are the same length. What is the period T of the motion for the second hand and for the minute hand?
It goes on to say the centripetal acceleration is given by a_c = v^2/r where v is speed and r is the radius. How is centripetal acceleration related to the period?
And then finally it asks for the ratio a_c, second / a_c, minute for the tips of the second hand and the minute hand.
I'm not even sure where to start really...
Any help would be great, thanks!
Basically if you take the parametric equations:

[tex]x=r\cos{\omega t}[/tex]
[tex]y=r\sin{\omega t}[/tex]

...and note that the second derivatives (acceleration) are:

[tex]x''=-\omega^2 r\cos{\omega t}[/tex]
[tex]y''=-\omega^2 r\sin{\omega t}[/tex]

The magnitude is therefore:

[tex]\left|\vec{a}\right|=\omega^2 r=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

because

[tex]\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

Can you use this information and try to answer your question?

Alex

Sounds complicated.. heh. I'll try and trudge my way thru it and see if I can make more sense of it...

thanks for the input

What is centripetal acceleration again?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is a real acceleration that is caused by a centripetal force, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path. It is important to note that centrifugal force does not actually exist and is only used in certain reference frames to simplify calculations.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of a car around a curve, the rotation of the Earth around the sun, and the motion of a roller coaster around a loop. In all of these cases, there is a centripetal force acting on the object to keep it moving in a circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration related to angular velocity?

Centripetal acceleration and angular velocity are closely related. As the angular velocity of an object increases, its tangential speed also increases, resulting in a larger centripetal acceleration. This can be seen in the formula for centripetal acceleration, where v represents tangential speed.

Can centripetal acceleration ever be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration is always positive because it is a measure of how fast the velocity of an object is changing. Since velocity is a vector quantity, it can only change in magnitude and direction, but not in sign. Therefore, centripetal acceleration can never be negative.