1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration calculation help

1. Nov 1, 2003 #1
    a) calculate the centipetal acc at the tip of a 4.00 m long helicopter blade that rotates at 300 rpm.

300 rpm = 31.42 rad/s = w

Centrip Acc = rw^2

Ac = (3.41 rad/s)^2 * 4 m

Ac = 3948.87 m/s^2

b)compare linear speed of the tip with the speed of sound which is 340 m/s

v = 4m * (31.42 rad/sec) = 125.28 m/s

So the blades are slower than the speed of sound.

This does not sound right to me I figured the blades would be faster - but maybe just not at the tip???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2003 #2
    OK up to here, I think...
    But how do you arrive at this figure? - Seems much too large to me...
    IMO, your math is correct here. Not sure, but I think helicopters have been around since the 1920's or so, when no aircraft engineer was even close to handling supersonic speeds... Still those machines worked, didn't they? Another thing, I believe it's not possible to move supersonic with any propeller-driven aircraft because the blades are just not allowed to move supersonic - turbulence & friction would lead to destruction... Just compare a helicopter's sound to that of a whiplash (where the tip does reach supersonic) - it's very different, much smoother isn't it? ... Enough for now.
  4. Nov 2, 2003 #3
    Sorry, it was a typo, should have been 31.42

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?