Centripetal acceleration centrifuge problem

In summary, the problem involved finding the centripetal acceleration at the top of a test tube in a centrifuge, given the distance from the axis of rotation and the linear speed. The mistake made was using centimeters instead of meters for the radius, which was corrected to get the correct answer of 115.52 m/s^2. It's important to always check the units in a problem to ensure consistency with the given equation.
MaZnFLiP
[SOLVED] centripetal acceleration problem

Homework Statement

Find the centripetal acceleration at the top of a test tube in a centrifuge, given that the top is 5.0 cm from the axis of rotation and that its linear speed is 76 m/s.

Homework Equations

Ac = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this equation I just plugged in the given numbers and came up with the answer 1155.2 m/s. I don't quite see what is wrong with my answer but i plugged it into masteringphysics and it said that the answer was wrong so i kept on trying the equation and kept on coming up with the same answer. Could someone tell me what I'm possibly doing wrong?
Solved

Never mind. I was able to see that the radius was in centimeters instead of meters so I had to convert that and I got the right answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you have solved your problem by realizing that the radius was given in centimeters instead of meters. This is a common mistake that can easily be overlooked. It's important to always double check the units in a problem to make sure they are consistent with the given equation.

In this case, the given equation for centripetal acceleration, Ac = v^2/r, requires the radius to be in meters and the velocity to be in meters per second. So when you converted the radius from 5.0 cm to 0.05 m, you were able to get the correct answer of 115.52 m/s^2 for the centripetal acceleration.

Great job on solving the problem and catching your mistake! Keep up the good work.

. Thank you for your help.
Great job on solving the problem! It's important to pay attention to units when solving equations, as they can greatly affect the final answer. In this case, converting the radius from centimeters to meters made a big difference in the result. Keep up the good work!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that is directed towards the center of a circular motion. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to a centrifuge problem?

In a centrifuge problem, the centripetal acceleration is the force that keeps the sample in the centrifuge tube moving in a circular path. It is necessary to overcome the centrifugal force, which is an outward force acting on the sample due to its inertia.

3. What factors affect centripetal acceleration in a centrifuge problem?

The factors that affect centripetal acceleration in a centrifuge problem include the angular velocity of the centrifuge, the radius of rotation, and the mass of the sample. These factors determine the strength of the centripetal force required to keep the sample in a circular path.

4. How do you calculate centripetal acceleration in a centrifuge problem?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of rotation. In a centrifuge problem, the velocity can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity of the centrifuge.

5. What is the role of centripetal acceleration in a centrifuge problem?

The role of centripetal acceleration in a centrifuge problem is to keep the sample in the centrifuge tube moving in a circular path. It is responsible for overcoming the centrifugal force and ensuring that the sample remains in the tube, allowing for efficient separation based on density differences.