Centripetal acceleration graph

In summary, the equation Mg=[1600∏2m(L+a)(1/t2)]- b represents an experiment to verify centripetal acceleration using a plastic tube, sticky tape, and slotted weight. The constants a and b account for the radius of the tape and static friction in the tube, respectively. To determine the value of g, a suitable graph can be plotted by setting M as the y-axis and a function of t as the x-axis. The reason for increasing the angular speed to a maximum value is related to the value of b, which represents the opposing force of centripetal acceleration.
michellelamcc
20131124_162722.jpg

Mg=[1600∏2m(L+a)(1/t2)]- b

M is the mass of the slotted weight
g is the gravitational force
m is the mass of the sticky tape
L is the length of the nylon thread measured from the end of the plastic tube to the sticky tape
t is the time for 20 revolutions of the sticky tape
a and b are constants

Excuse me, I would like to ask:
1. What are the physical meaning of a and b ?
2. How can I plotted a suitable graph to determine the value of g based on these datas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to forum!

It is very difficult to understand the problem.Can you post the whole problem statement?

nil1996 said:
Welcome to forum!

It is very difficult to understand the problem.Can you post the whole problem statement?

It's an experiment to verify centripetal acceleration= rω2
Producedures:
1. Set up the apparatus as shown in the photo.

2.Hold the plastic tube vertically and whirl the sticky tape above your head in a horizontial circle.Increase the angular speedof the sticky tape to a maximum value such that the paper marker still remains stationary at the position 1cm below the lower end of the plastic tube.Keep the tape roating at that particular speed throughout the motion.

3. Mesure the t for 20 revolutions of the t.

4. Repeat the prodcedures by using different mass of M.

michellelamcc said:
View attachment 64241

is that equation you derived or it is given?

Likes 1 person
nil1996 said:
is that equation you derived or it is given?

It is given ><

You should make a similar equation like the one that is given and compare the both.From this you will get what are a and b.

nil1996 said:
You should make a similar equation like the one that is given and compare the both.From this you will get what are a and b.

My work:
Fc= mrω2
Mg= mL4∏2 / (t/20)2
= 1600mL∏2 / t2

And I don't know why there are a and b :(

michellelamcc said:
View attachment 64241

1. What are the physical meaning of a and b ?
Looks like a is to account for the radius of the tape. L is not the distance to its centre. 'a' should be slightly more than the radius.
'b' may be allowing for some static friction in the tube.
2. How can I plotted a suitable graph to determine the value of g based on these datas?
In the OP you said it was to verify the rω2 formula for centripetal force.
That means you need to show that there are values for a and b which make the observations fit well.
If you plot M (as y) against a suitable function of t as x you should get a straight line. What function of t?

Likes 1 person
i think that here we have considered the string to be ideal but it is not.So a and b should be making the system ideal.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Looks like a is to account for the radius of the tape. L is not the distance to its centre. 'a' should be slightly more than the radius.
'b' may be allowing for some static friction in the tube.

In the OP you said it was to verify the rω2 formula for centripetal force.
That means you need to show that there are values for a and b which make the observations fit well.
If you plot M (as y) against a suitable function of t as x you should get a straight line. What function of t?

Thank you for your answer
But sorry, I don't quite understand the meaning of " What function of t?" ><

nil1996 said:
i think that here we have considered the string to be ideal but it is not.So a and b should be making the system ideal.

There are some hint in the questions.
It asked that why we hv to increase the angular speed of the tape to a maximum value, and how does it releate to the value of b?

michellelamcc said:
There are some hint in the questions.
It asked that why we hv to increase the angular speed of the tape to a maximum value, and how does it releate to the value of b?

i agree with solution of haruspex.the constant b is the static friction of the plastic tube which is opposing the centripetal acceleration.Hence it is adding to the Mg .

nil1996 said:
i agree with solution of haruspex.the constant b is the static friction of the plastic tube which is opposing the centripetal acceleration.Hence it is adding to the Mg .

I also agree with that ^^

michellelamcc said:
Thank you for your answer
But sorry, I don't quite understand the meaning of " What function of t?" ><
If you were to plot M against t then, according to the equation, you would not get a straight line. So instead you want to plot M against some function f(t) of t. If this is to produce a straight line then you want the equation to be the same as M = α f(t) + β for some constants α and β. Can you find f, α and β?

Likes 1 person

What is a centripetal acceleration graph?

A centripetal acceleration graph is a graphical representation of the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It shows how the magnitude and direction of acceleration change over time as the object moves in the circle.

How is a centripetal acceleration graph different from a regular acceleration graph?

A regular acceleration graph shows the acceleration of an object in a straight line, whereas a centripetal acceleration graph shows the acceleration of an object in a circular motion. In a centripetal acceleration graph, the acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

What is the significance of the shape of a centripetal acceleration graph?

The shape of a centripetal acceleration graph can tell us about the motion of the object. A flat line indicates that the object is moving at a constant speed, while a curved line indicates that the object is accelerating. The steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration experienced by the object.

How does the radius of the circle affect the centripetal acceleration graph?

The radius of the circle affects the centripetal acceleration graph by changing the magnitude of acceleration. A larger radius results in a smaller acceleration, while a smaller radius results in a larger acceleration. This is because the centripetal force required to keep an object in circular motion increases as the radius decreases.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the acceleration increases, the force required to maintain the circular motion also increases. This relationship is described by the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.