Centripetal acceleration help?

In summary, the equations an=w^2 x R and an=V^2 / R are equivalent when using the radius r as the IC point. However, using v^2 / R yields a more accurate result when dealing with angular velocities.
tandennis0703

Homework Statement

Hi, I was wondering what is the difference between the equations an=w^2 x R vs an=V^2 / R? I thought both of these equations were the same? What is the normal acceleration at C and D?

12345.png

Homework Equations

an=w^2 x R vs an=V^2 / R?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If I use the equation w^2 R for the normal component

At point C I get (16)^2 x (0.25) = 64ms-2
At point D I get (16)^2 x (0.25) = 64ms-2

However, if I use the equation v^2 / R for the normal component

At point C I get (6)^2 / (0.25) = 144ms-2
At point D I get (2)^2 / (0.25) = 16ms-2

Why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
tandennis0703 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I was wondering what is the difference between the equations an=w^2 x R vs an=V^2 / R? I thought both of these equations were the same? What is the normal acceleration at C and D?

12345.png

Homework Equations

an=w^2 x R vs an=V^2 / R?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If I use the equation w^2 R for the normal component

At point C I get (16)^2 x (0.25) = 64ms-2
At point D I get (16)^2 x (0.25) = 64ms-2

However, if I use the equation v^2 / R for the normal component

At point C I get (6)^2 / (0.25) = 144ms-2
At point D I get (2)^2 / (0.25) = 16ms-2

Why is this so?

How are you defining ##\omega##? Check your math.

Student100 said:
How are you defining ##\omega##? Check your math.

My maths is fine. I have the answer which is w=16.

To get w you need to equate both VD and VC by using the radius r as the IC point.

Vd=wx ; 6=wx
Vc=w(0.5-x) ; 2=w(0.5-x)

Therefore by substitution, you get the angular velocity equals to 16 ms-1. I hope this helps you understand how to get the angular velocity. If you need any help feel free to contact me.

The velocity used in v2/r should be the tangential velocity with respect to the center of rotation. Here the center of rotation is at the center of the circular gear, which is in motion (linear motion upwards in the figure). So for example, on the left had side the motion of the contact point C in the "lab frame" is 6 m/s upwards. But the center of the gear is moving upwards with some velocity v. So the tangential velocity with respect to the center of rotation will be...?

Hint: Find the speed of the center of mass of the gear.

tandennis0703 said:
My maths is fine. I have the answer which is w=16.

To get w you need to equate both VD and VC by using the radius r as the IC point.

Vd=wx ; 6=wx
Vc=w(0.5-x) ; 2=w(0.5-x)

Therefore by substitution, you get the angular velocity equals to 16 ms-1. I hope this helps you understand how to get the angular velocity. If you need any help feel free to contact me.

Or you could just equate the formulas you're using ##\frac{v^2}{r}=\omega^2r## solve for ##\omega## and see there is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
The velocity used in v2/r should be the tangential velocity with respect to the center of rotation. Here the center of rotation is at the center of the circular gear, which is in motion (linear motion upwards in the figure). So for example, on the left had side the motion of the contact point C in the "lab frame" is 6 m/s upwards. But the center of the gear is moving upwards with some velocity v. So the tangential velocity with respect to the center of rotation will be...?

Hint: Find the speed of the center of mass of the gear.

Oh no I did not see the question correctly. Both the velocity at C and D of the WHEEL is the same. It is the side belt that's moving at a velocity.

Student100 said:
Or you could just equate the formulas you're using ##\frac{v^2}{r}=\omega^2r## solve for ##\omega## and see there is a problem.

The velocities at C and D are the same. The conveyor is the one that is moving at 6 and 2 ms-1 respectively. Therefore I am not able to find the normal acceleration by using the velocities of the conveyor belt. The velocities at B,C, and D of the wheel are constant, so I can use either velocities in the equation v^2/R. Or even easier, just use the angular velocity an=w^2 R. Thanks for your help!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration acting towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object in a circular path due to its inertia. These two forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object in a circular path?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the speed of an object in a circular path. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, so it is always a positive value. Negative acceleration would imply that the object is slowing down, which is not the case in circular motion.