1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration lab graph

1. Dec 4, 2003 #1
    I have a lab that needs a graph, and my calculations seem logical, but I need some affirmation. In this lab we spun a string with a stopper attached at one end and some weights at the other end. We had to keep a part of the string at the same point while spinning and therefore it moved at a constant angular velocity, right? ( http://www.richardson.k12.tx.us/sch...ay/Web/lindsay/Pre-AP/MomRot/Lab Circ Mot.htm ) is the lab, if you need more explanation of the lab. In our calculations we have to graph Centripetal Acceleration vs. omega, the angular velocity. Using the equation F = ma... the force is weight (pulling on the stopper spinning), which is mg. Then mg = ma, then g = a.

In other words, if something is going at a constant velocity around your head in a circle and not falling, centripetal acceleration equals acceleration due to gravity?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2003 #2
    If centripetal acceleration equals acceleration due to gravity, then it would stay where it was, in a circle (because its centripetal acceleration)?

4. Dec 5, 2003 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

a = v^2/r

centripital acceleration has absolutely nothing to do with gravitational force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?